Chapter 10: The New Year

I was wrong. Not many people showed up. In fact, it was only John and me at first but we waited it out an extra ten minutes and got Rory Flanagan, who I understood was a part of the club the year before, before getting deported to Ireland. He was back, I guess, and now he was going to audition. Except that everyone voted for Rory to get in automatically, while I, the only reason they were still able to compete, was still being forced to audition. And then the most shocking part happened. Cory (MY BROTHER!) showed up to audition. He was first and I was in awe.

"I'll be singing Lego House by Ed Sheeran," he said shyly into the microphone. He sang, it was beautiful, and I- along with John and Kitty who were sitting next to me- was shocked. I knew he could sing, of course. That wasn't the surprise. John was a lot better, but Cory could still carry out a tune nicely. The shocker was that he actually auditioned. It was unbelievable that he'd want to be a part of the glee club. Then again, he'd been pretend-dating Santana Lopez for a couple weeks, so why not?

My audition was the second one and there were actually a few boo's from some of the glee kids. I was pretty sure it was Sugar, Tina, Wade, and Brittany, but I couldn't be sure. Everyone else was too nice to do it, though, so it died out. And I was glad I had chosen King of Anything as my audition song. It was too perfect for what I was feeling towards most of the glee club.

As I started singing the Oh, oh's of the beginning of the song, I grabbed the microphone and made my way down to the rows. I made sure I got to Sugar, drinking her Starbucks Capuccino, as I sang the first lines.

Keep drinkin' coffee

Stare me down across the table

While I look outside

Then I went to Wade, who was dressed as a guy today,

So many things I'd say if only I were able

But I just keep quiet

And count the cars that pass by

To Tina, whose jaw dropped,

You've got opinions, man

We're all entitled to 'em

But I never asked

I got to Ryder in just the perfect moment.

So let me thank you for your time

And try to not waste any more of mine

Get out of here fast

Then to Jake, who was repressing a smirk,

I hate to break it to you, babe

But I'm not drowning

There's no one here to save

I sang the chorus as I walked by Marley, but since I actually didn't have much against her I didn't make eye contact. Sam, John, Kitty, Cory, Joe, and Finn were smiling and they were the only ones who seemed to be enjoying my performance. That is until Blaine smiled at the end of the chorus and began to clap, soon to be joined by Tina, who rolled her eyes and gave in. Soon, the few who actually liked me joined in.

When I got to Kitty, I sang,

You sound so innocent. All full of good intent. You swear you know best.

Then to Finn,

But you expect me to. Jump up on board with you. And ride off into your delusional sunset.

To Mr. Schue,

I'm not the one who's lost. With no direction oh. But you'll never see.

Then finally to Sam and Brittany

You're so busy makin' maps. With my name on them in all caps. You've got the talkin' down. Just not the listening.

I sang the chorus as I went back to the stage and then calmed down a bit to sing the bridge.

All my life. I've tried. To make everybody happy while I. Just hurt. And hide. Waitin' for someone to tell me it's my turn. To decide.

I sang the rest of the song and nailed every note. By the end of the song, it was only Ryder whose support I seemed to lack and I just didn't understand why I couldn't get the guy to so much as smile at me. Everyone else clapped as I got off the stage and John was called up.

"I'd like to sing this," he said when he was told to begin, "for the girl who encouraged me to try out in the first place. Without her I wouldn't be here. So Kitty, this one's for you." I felt my face get extremely hot when I heard him say her name. But I got over it and enjoyed his performance of "Can't Stand It" by Nevershoutnever, which everyone else also seemed to enjoy. Then the current glee members all met with Mr. Schue and Finn and they talked for about a minute before finally going back to us. Mr. Schue got on the stage.

"I'm pleased to say," he said, "that by unanimous vote everyone made it in. Congratulations and welcome to the New Directions!" I smiled at John and hugged him. He and Kitty hugged and then she hugged me.

"Everyone really voted yes for me?" I asked her. "Even Ryder?"

"Ryder's actually a really nice guy," she said. "I think you two could really hit it off once he stops thinking you're trying to hurt Marley."

"Alright everyone," said Mr. Schue. "Before we let you go, Blaine has an announcement to make. Go ahead Blaine."

"Ok," said Blaine as he stood up. "As you all know, I am the student body president. So it is my pleasure to be the first to let you know, that next week we're going to have a Sadie Hawkins Dance thanks to Tina and the rest of the Too Young To Be Bitter girls. Although at first I wasn't really on board, Tina has guaranteed that it will be an eventful night. So ladies, start asking those guys you like to the dance."

He gave everyone a beautiful smile and pranced off the stage. We were all dismissed and I watched as Kitty walked after John. I was surprised, however, to find that she was going after Jake, not John. I caught up to John, who followed my gaze and explained.

"We talked a lot over the break," he said. "She confessed that she was still hung up on Jake and I told her it was too early for me to date anyone. So we mutually agreed to be just friends." I felt a sense of relief but something told me the feeling was coming too soon.