Chapter 40: The End of Twerk

I had to keep it a secret. It was not my place to interfere.

And besides, Blaine's twerking video, which went viral, was the talk of the group. 

Mr. Schue announced that we'd be twerking for the week. Oh god.

"If you can all dance like Blaine did in that video," Mr. Schue told us, "we are gonna need a bigger trophy case."

Jake and Kitty were assigned as twerk instructors.

Jake began with a background lesson of the dance and for the duration of his short speech, I couldn't stop thinking of his nastiness with Bree.

Luckily, Kitty took over for the actual twerk tutorial part. I stood between Tina and Ryder, who were both terrible.

"You're really good!" exclaimed Ryder. 

"It's all about having a booty," I told him with a laugh. 

"Alright, you just need to--" started Jake as he walked behind me and put his arm on the small of my back.

"Stop..." I burst suddenly, moving away from him. Everyone stopped and looked at us. "I mean, uh," I said. "It's fine. Just focus on those who are worse than I am." He nodded with some apprehension and then followed my orders. It was weird.

"So what song are we going to be singing?" asked Marley.

"Something by Miley," said Tina. "She is the twerking queen."

"No, Vanessa Hudgens' twerking is better," said Kitty.

"OMG Niall Horan of One Direction!" Unique explained. Lately, I'd been trying to get myself in the habit of referring to her as Unique. She did after all defend me with the whole Jesse St. James thing.

"We are not doing a Miley song," said Mr. Schue. "I have a better idea."

"Please no more Journey!" cried Principal Sylvester with a laugh. 

"What do you want Sue?" asked Mr. Schue, evidently annoyed.

"Oh just to remind your hormonal teenagers that twerking is outlawed on campus," she answered.

"What?" we all collectively exclaimed. I wasn't really a fan of the dance, but outlawing it seemed a little ridiculous.

"That's right," she said with a grin. "Didn't you guys catch my Sue's corner? Twerking will lead to serious consequences. Let that be your one and only warning..." She left just as quickly as she'd arrived.

"Choir room," said Mr. Schue. "Now."

***

The group was going crazy over this.

"She cannot get away with this!" Jake complained. "She can't take away our god-given right to twerk! It's bullcrap!"

"I think what we're all feeling, Mr. Schue," Artie said, "is that we're really onto something with this whole twerking at Nationals thing--"

"I completely agree with you," Mr. Schue cut us all off. "Principal Sylvester is drawing a line in the sand. She's deciding what's acceptable and what's not-- and that's just not gonna stand. The fact is, twerking is about blurring the lines-- between past and the present, between men and women, between tradition and envelope pushing--"

At this point most of us had stopped following along. I looked at Blaine and he raised his eyebrows at me. 

"It's all in that Alan Thicke song that I love!" Mr. Schue exclaimed vehemently.

"Blurred lines by Robin Thicke?" Artie clarified. We were definitely not on the same page as Mr. Schue.

"Exactly!" Mr. Schue said. This was getting creepy.