Chapter 28: Game

The gym was pretty crowded. I didn't think that many people would show up for the game, especially since it was on a Thursday. But I guess a game between the current students and the old players of McKinley--plus a few others-- was something that couldn't be missed.

Of the glee club alumni, all of the guys had joined the game. Yes, even Kurt. So I searched the court for Finn, Puck, Mike, and Kurt. They were all geared up in the red home uniforms. Then the cheerleaders-- Santana, Quinn, and some of the other alumni had joined us-- were asked to come out. So we did. The few graduates who had showed up cheered on the alumni on one side of the court. And the rest of us were on the other side cheering on the current team as they came out. I cheered Sam's name as he hurried out and blew me a kiss.

And then the game begun. And as can be expected, the game was very great but the alumni-- who were short on numbers-- weren't doing so well.

"I guess we should start cheering on the other side," Kitty said.

"No," I suggested. "We stick to this side."

"Because Sam, Jake, and Ryder are all on the team?" she asked.

"Yup," I said. "We have to show our loyalty more often around here."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asked.

"Umm, nothing?" I said. Everything was moving quickly, the room was roaring with noise, and now Kitty was hearing things that weren't being said. I felt my emotions spiraling out of control for a second so I took a deep breath and went back to cheering. I couldn't believe I had rejoined the Cheerios after the fiasco that was my first week.

During the half-time, it was no surprise that the alumni all gathered in the center. 

"Hi," said Santana as she took the microphone and addressed the room. "As you all know, the glee club is working on a production of the horrendous High School Musical that is doomed to fail. With that in mind, our boys here have all decided to put on a show and show the current glee club how to play real basketball."

"But we're winning..." said Sam as he took the microphone from her.

"Shush trouty," she told him. He backed away. I know he hated it when people called him that.

"We challenge you guys to an HSM-style basketball off before the next half," said Puck.

"Shouldn't we be taking a break?" a very exhausted Kurt panted from behind him.

"Let's do this!" Quinn exclaimed as she cheered. The crowd cheered. I don't know what it was about the auditorium that made the crowd love the glee club so much. But anytime we performed in the lunchroom we could expect food thrown at us.

"What song?" asked Ryder.

"You know the one," said Finn as he smiled at Puck. I was surprised at how many of the alumni he's gotten to agree on this as the music started.

Finn, Mike, and Puck: Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left better get it done!

Sam, Jake, and Ryder smiled as they took the center and joined them.

Sam, Jake, and Ryder: Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes, get ready, game on!

The referee blew his whistle and the mini-game began.

Finn with Mike and Puck: Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left running out of time!

Sam with Ryder and Jake: Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes, it's on the line!

I didn't know how they could sing while they played. Even dancing and singing was exhausting, so this must've been killing them. Especially for Puck and Jake, who had taken the leads for each side.