Chapter 39: A Katy or A Gaga

Sam was going insane. I passed by his locker with Ryder at the end of the day, afraid that he'd see us and things would get awkward, but he was with that Nurse Penny chick. He was talking about True Jackson VP, one of his favorite shows, and didn't even notice me.

"Would you maybe like to go out this weekend?" Sam was saying. "Like on a date?"

My face grew incredibly hot. Ryder must have heard too because he stopped when we had rounded the corner of the hall and put his hands on my shoulders.

"Do not freak out over this," he told me. "Let it go and don't think about it, ok?" 

I nodded and we went our separate ways.

***

The following day, I had not done what I said I would. I could not stop thinking about it.

"He's already moving on," I responded to Ryder as we headed to our Katy practice. "First there was Brittany and if she hadn't left him who knows whether they'd still be together or not. And now he's with that nurse chick."

"He did love you," he assured me. "I don't know what's going on with you guys now, but he did love you. And if he wants to move one then... Maybe you should be moving on, too."

We passed by Marley and Jake, who were being all cute as always, and I noticed the way Ryder still frowned and looked away when he saw them. "Have you?" I asked him.

"Have I what?" he asked.

"Have you considered moving on?" I asked. "From Marley?"

"Who says I haven't?" he responded.

"You're telling me that if she were to become available and asked you to dinner," I said, "you wouldn't go right to her with open arms?"

"That's not going to happen," he replied. "So hypothetical or not, it doesn't matter."

At the end of the hallway, I saw Bree. In a Gaga-do-not-cross-signs outfit that revealed way too much skin. 

"What the hell..." I murmured. And then Jake and Marley passed right by them and Jake exchanged a glance with her as he seemingly checked her out. What the hell... Oh no, not this Bree.

I was going to tell her something when Artie and Blaine passed by, urging us to meet up at the auditorium already.

"Alright Gaga's," said Sam when we were all gathered on stage. "I'm taking over this monster ball. Since I'm obviously, the edgiest one in the group and as a former teen stripper I understand the power of theatricality and performativity."

"I don't see the connection..." murmured John.

"Yeah but what are they building?" Ryder asked, pointing out the obvious reconstruction of the stage that was happening around us. I didn't even know any of the people who were moving around the set.

"The future, Ryder," Sam answered sharply. "They're building the future."

We all exchanged looks with each other.

"Alright," Sam went on. "We're gonna get scary and weird and controversial."

"Uh, hence the catwalk?" asked Blaine. I laughed. But Sam glared at me and I stopped.

"We're taking it into the audience, Blaine," explained Sam. "Right in their faces and we're gonna drop-kick the fourth wall."

"Are those strobe lights?" asked Artie, pointing up to the roof.

"Believe it!" Sam answered.

"Because some kids might be epileptic," Artie continued.

But Sam didn't seem to get it. "Is it a seizure or is it just hardcore next-level break-dancing?" he asked. "I don't know. Come on, guys, I need sick ideas if we're gonna impress Penny, this thing has to be so crazy that it's declared legally and clinically insane."