Chapter 20: Identities

I know it has been a while since I last wrote for this so since I'm stuck home today with food poisoning, I'm going to spend some time on writing this!

----------------------------------------------------

I walked into Study Hall and spotted Ryder, who appeared to be deeply immersed in his book, so I took a seat next to him. 

"Who do you plan on being for Disney week?" I asked excitedly, making him jump up.

"I don't know," he said. "I was leaning towards The Beast, you know, from Beauty and the Beast? Because since my whole dyselxia problem became public, people look at me differently, like I'm some sort of beast. And no one seems to look at what I have on the inside."

I stared at him and he looked gloomily back down at his textbook.

"He said that when you have some sort of disability or mental illness," I was telling John as we headed to glee rehearsals after school, "you get treated differently."

"Then you can prove him wrong by being honest with everyone," he said. I shuttered. No one could find out about me. I refused to become a beast.

We walked into the choir room and before I could even take a seat, Mr. Schue announced that Sam and I would be kicking things off.

"What song?" I whispered to Sam as he joined me up front. He smirked, signaling the band to get started. I smiled, instantly recognizing the song as Sam began singing.

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming

I joined in for my part and there were sparks everywhere. I tried to make as little eye contact with the other glee members as possible, avoiding their teasing looks and eyebrow wiggiling, but that meant that my eyes were on Sam. And that increased the palpable chemistry.

When we were finished, Brittany wooed and exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, you guys! That song was amazing!"

"Thanks," I said as Sam nodded. Did she not notice what had just happened?

"I agree," said Mr. Schue as the cheering and clapping died out. "Now, for the part of the assignment that we are all participating in. Form a circle on the ground."

"What?" everyone murmured. "Huh?"

"A circle," he repeated. "Sit down on the ground in a circle." We did as he said and sat down in a circle. He, Mrs. Schue, and Finn joined us, spread out across the circle. I sat between Ryder and Finn, and across from me Jake, Sam, and Kitty made direct eye contact.

"What are we doing?" Blaine asked as Finn passed down strips of paper and pens. I grabbed one and passed the rest down, noticing that Mrs. Schue was holding a jar on her lap.

"We are going to reveal the characters we have thought of," Mr. Schue said. "On the paper you're getting, I want you each to write down the character with a quick description of why it fits you. Do not write down your name. We will put the paper in the jar and then we'll pull them out one by one and try to guess who identifies his or herself in the way described. Ready?"

"I think this is a great idea," Finn said as we all started writing. "It's not only-"

"Not so fast flabby!" exclaimed Coach Sylvester as she stormed into the room. "I don't know what kind of orgy you've got planned while the Schuesters are off on their honeymoon, but you better forget it."