Chapter 46: The Art of Choosing

"I want to get back with Jake," Marley said.

"I want John back so badly," Kitty said.

"I don't think I can turn down Ryder," I said. 

We had rushed to each other as soon as we got to school the next morning.

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Kitty said to Marley. "But you deserve better."

"At least make him work a little harder," I added. "And Kitty, as much as I loved you with John, you can't just break up with Artie and run straight to him."

"Yeah," said Marley. "You should just give Artie some time to heal before strutting the halls with John again."

They both turned to me. "Ryder," they said together. I blushed and looked away.

"Honey, Sam and you had a good run," Kitty told me, "but he's leaving in just a few weeks anyway."

"Besides," said Marley, "Ryder has done such a great job trying to prove to you that he's into you. When we went on our supposed date he spent the entire time talking about how hard it was going to be to convince you that it was just fake, to piss off Jake."

"Wait, what?" I asked.

"He hadn't told you?" Marley asked. "He was just being a good friend! From the asking me out to the Instagram picture... It was an attempt to get Jake off my back."

"I'm such an idiot..." I murmured. "I was such a jerk to him about the whole thing."

"I know," said Kitty. "How about you serenade him in return?" Marley and I looked at each other and smiled.

***

We took our seats on three stools in the center of the choir room, just like the guys had. And I made sure to maintain eye contact with Ryder, to let him know what my choice was. Marley, on the otherhand, sang to the room. She had decided she wasn't going to let Jake off that easily, but she still wanted to help me out. We could both tell that Kitty was trying hard not to look at John. She had just broken up with Artie and, well, now she was singing a song about not breaking up. 

Julie: I don't wanna go another day, so I'm telling you exactly what is on my mind. So I'm telling you exactly what is on my mind. Seems like everybody's breaking up, throwing their love away. But I know I've got a good thing right here. That's why I say. Hey....

I made the mistake of looking at Sam as the three of us sang the chorus. He didn't look too well. But unfortunately, it was Ryder who I wanted to be with. And Ryder seemed to be extremely devoted to hearing me sing as he watched me with a focused look. Especially when we got to to the bridge.

Julie: And now ain't nothing else I can need. And now I'm singing cause you're so, so into me. I got you... We'll be makin' love endlessly. I'm with you. Baby, you're with me.  Hey, yeah.

Ryder finally grinned widely as I smiled back at him.

Julie, Marley, and Kitty: So don't you worry about people hanging around. They ain't bringing us down.
Julie: I know you and you know me and that's all that counts...
Julie, Marley, and Kitty: So don't you worry about people hanging around. They ain't bringing us down.
Julie: I know you and you know me and that's-- that's why I say... Hey...

We sang through the chorus twice more and then took a bow. I knew Ryder was a lot more expressive when it came to his emotions than the average guy, but I didn't expect him to get up and go hug me right there in front of everyone. To show how much he really cared about me. For someone who struggled so much with her emotions, it was a surprising change. Surprising in a good way.

"Since almost everyone has had solos now," said Tina as she went up to the front. "There are a few of us who did take some time to plan a performance... Kitty..." Kitty rolled her eyes. "So we're going to stop moping around and remember why most of us are here. Hit it!" And just like that, she broke out into a performance of "When I Grow Up" which featured Blaine and Unique.

Tina: Boys call you sexy
Blaine: What's up sexy?
Tina: And you don't care what they say. See, everytime you turn around they're screamin' your name.
Blaine: Now I've got a confession...

They did a magnificent performance And when I thought it couldn't get any better, Cory walked in just in time to join them for the second half of the song. We all gave them a standing ovation for being the true divas of the club.

"I guess that concludes this week's assignment," said Tina as she and the others took a seat.

"Not so fast Girl Chang," Santana told her as she and Puck took the center. "There are still two people who have yet to put their differences outside and do a duet."

"Who?" asked Blaine.

"Us," Puck said as he joined Santana with guitar in hand. We cheered them on as they sang "Last First Kiss" by One Direction. And after that, the assignment was finally over.