Chapter 25: Work This Out

Once back in the choir room, Mr. Schue's speech began.

"I am so tired of you guys and your petty fights," he said. "I get it. Competition fuels greatness from you guys. If not for Kurt, Rachel, and Mercedes always wanting to be the best, they wouldn't be as amazing as they are. But those three could hug at the end of a diva-off and then go out for coffee afterwards. Beyond their jealousies and their competing, they were friends. So you guys need to start learning how to get along."

"We're going to be making decisions now," said Artie. "Tina, I'll text you when you guys can come back in here." That was our cue to get out of there now. 

"Now we have to wait," said Blaine as the doors shut us out of the choir room. "Way to go guys," he told Sam and Jake.

"Seriously, real mature," added Tina.

"Alright, enough," Ryder said. "We've all had our share of fights in glee club. Let's just stop arguing already."

"Agreed," Marley said.

"Whatever," Kitty muttered.

"What's with you?" I asked.

"Are you kidding me?" she said. "You just went in there and fought for my role. At least have the decency to tell me next time."

"What?" I responded. Everyone was looking at us.

"Dancing around with Jake and Ryder?" she said. "That's basically asking for Sharpay. They were looking for a great dancer with attitude. You gave them that. Way to stab me in the back, Julie."

"Kitty, I didn't--" I started. But I was interrupted by Kitty saying, "Coach Sylvester has peeping holes into the choir room if you guys want to find out what they're saying in there." Everyone agreed so we went and snuck into Coach's office and accessed the peeping holes in her office. There was also a small operator that let us hear everything that was being said. With only four holes, Kitty, Blaine, Jake, and Brittany looked through while the rest of us just listened.

"Maybe they aren't ready to do a musical about friendship together," Mr. Schue was saying.

"Come on, Mr. Schue," said Finn. "These guys can do better. I promise."

"Yeah," said Artie. "They pulled off Grease as mortal enemies."

"Well, then how do we divide up the roles?" asked Mrs. Schuester. Coach Beiste and Coach Sue Sylvester walked in. 

"We got your texts, Will," said Coach Beiste. "Sorry for missing the callbacks but we're here to help as best as we can."

"We're in the process of deciding who gets what role," said Mr. Schue.

"No way Urethra Franklin is going to play a lead female," said Coach Sylvester. 

"Sue..." Mr. Schue started.

"She's not," said Artie. "Honestly, she didn't really audition for anything. I don't think Unique wants a lead role."

"Surprisingly," Tina muttered. "Shh..." Sam told her.

"Let's start with the minor roles then," said Artie. "Who can play Kelsey, the piano girl?"

"I think Marley and Julie can play the piano," said Finn.

"Those are the two most talented girls you have," said Coach Beiste, making Marley and I glance at each other. "You can't give them the title of 'Piano Girl.'" 

"Listen, I have a list in my office," said Coach Sylvester. "For who should play each role. I came up with it during Grease and well, if I make a few changes according to the new kids you've got, I think you'll like it."