Chapter 34: Seize the Day

"I called Santana," Sam told me as he took a seat next to me in glee club. It was two days before Regionals and Brittany was still super insane.

"What?" I said. Everyone started coming in.

"I called her up," he said. "I hope she can get through to Brittany. And prove to you that I didn't want to leave you for Brittany. I just care about her a lot."

"Then why did you go back to her as soon as we ended?" I asked.

"I didn't know what to do with myself," he said. "It was out of nowhere and--" He was interrupted by Mr. Schue, who began the rehearsal. But Sam was right. Santana seemed to be getting to Brittany when we all tuned int Fondue for Two to watch her confront her. And when Regionals came around, Brittany showed up.

"Good job," I told Sam as we waited backstage while the other groups performed. "With the Brittany situation, that is."

"She's my best friend," he told me. "That's why it mattered so much. But she was right when she dumped me. I am in love with you. I have been this entire time."

"Sam, I--" I started. But he wouldn't take a rejection from me anymore. So there, in front of everyone, he pulled me in and kissed me. When I pulled away, my eyes instinctively searched for Ryder. 

"Mr. Schue," he said. "I have an announcement."

"Yes Ryder?" Mr. Schue said.

"I won't be returning to the glee club after this competition," he said.

"What?" I gasped along with everyone else.

"I've thought about it a lot and I don't think there's a place for me any longer," he said. He looked over at Sam and me, letting everybody know that it was my fault. Or at least, letting me know.

"We'll discuss this later," said Mr. Schue. "Right now we have to hurry, circle up, and get you guys on stage."

During what was essentially just a prayer circle or maybe something more similar to a sports huddle, Brittany told us that she was leaving McKinley and starting early at MIT. She confessed a lot of her feelings and we all teared up, especially Sam.

"You guys are like a family," she told us. "Mr. Schue's the dad. Mercedes, Tina, Sugar, other Mercedes, you are my sisters. Mike, Blaine, Jim, my brothers."

"Joe," Joe corrected her with a smile.

"Artie," Brittany went on. "You're the boy next door who builds robots and who I took his virginity." Umm...

"Jake, Marley, Ryder, Kitty, Julie," she said. "You're the foster kids who joined us after the orphanage closes." We laughed a little. "We didn't trust you at first, but we grew to love you all. Even Kitty and Julie. My little Cheerios."

"And Sam," she said, increasing the intensity in the room. "Your impressions, our fake marriage..." She went over to hug him. "I love you so much Sam..."

"I love you, too, Brittany," he whispered back. Kitty grabbed one of my hands and squeezed it. 

"I'm really going to miss you," Brittany told Sam, still hugging him.

"I'm going to miss you," Sam said through his tears. Marley grabbed my hand. They must've realized this was hard to watch for me. But Brittany let go and went over to Santana. Then we had a show circle and we passed on positive vibes for our performance.

The guys performed "Hall of Fame" and I exchanged various looks with Ryder, who glanced away almost every time. During the "I Love It" performance when Kitty, Tina, and Sugar were out for their parts, I tried to exchange a brief word with him backstage but before I could Brittany pulled me onto the stage. Unfortunately, when the guys came out for the part where we were partnered off, I was with Ryder. He looked over at me briefly at the end of the song as we transitioned into the third song, "Seize the Day."

Blaine: Open the gates and seize the day

Artie: Don't be afraid and don't delay

Sam: Nothing can break us

Tina: No one can make us

Jake: Give our rights away

Marley: Arise and seize the day 

It wasn't the best song choice, but it was a good decision for the group. And it really was the best we could've done.

Julie with New Directions: Now is the time to seize the day. Send out the call and join the fray.

Ryder: Wrongs will be righted. If we're united. 

Julie and Ryder with New Directions: Let us seize the day 

Wade: Friends of the friendless, seize the day. Raise up the torch and light the way

Kitty: Proud and defiant

Joe: We'll slay the giant 

Kitty and Joe: Let us seize the day 

John and Cory: Neighbor to neighbor. Father to son.

Jake and Marley: One for all and all for one 

Brittany with New Directions:
Open the gates and seize the day
Don't be afraid and don't delay
Nothing can break us
No one can make us
Give our rights away 

Julie: Neighbor to neighbor

Blaine: Father to son

Marley and Sam with New Directions: One for all and all for one.

We were anxious. Much more anxious than we were for Sectionals. And no one fainted this time. But when we were announced the winners and I jumped into Ryder's arms, I knew it in my heart. This is where we belonged.