Chapter 13: The Men of McKinley

The following week, a way too delusional Tina decided to raise money for Regionals by having the guys do a calendar, since it was the new year and all. I'm pretty sure she just wanted to see Blaine in sexy month scenarios.

"Alright, since there are nine guys and twelve months," said Finn, "each guy will get their own month and the last three will be for our oldest members, Blaine, Artie, and Sam." Everyone loved the idea. Sam was especially thrilled to show off his muscles and I was especially thrilled to see them. The next day, in the hallway, Jake approached me, looking pretty shy.

"Julie," he said. "I have something I really need to get off my chest."

"Ok..." I murmured.

"Since that moment when we sang together on stage..." he started nervously. "Well, really since I saw you practicing with the Cheerios out on the football field... It's crazy... I mean, this is crazy... I-"

I knew what he was going to say was probably really important but I looked right past him at Sam, who was walking into the building in only swimming trunks. I wanted to pay attention to Jake but there really was no chance with Sam's abs out and about.

He stopped by in front of us and said to Jake, "I'm having a free seminar on how to do sexy poses for the calendar. Feel free to join me." He winked at me, making me completely melt, and then walked off.

"What a douche," said Jake as I leaned back against the lockers and let out the breath I'd been holding in.

"A sexy douche," I said without thinking. He gave me a weird look, pressing his lips together, and feeling completely nervous suddenly, I said goodbye and walked away.

The next day, at lunch, the guys performed a mash-up of "Centerfold" and "Hot in Herre" in the choir room with the Cheerios and I was starting to see the whole douche thing. Something about Sam's entire demeanor was off.

"Is Sam okay?" I asked Tina.

"Who?" she asked without taking her eyes off of the guys. I decided it was pointless to try to talk to any of the girls while the guys were giving a very sexy performance.

After school, I headed towards the auditorium to choreograph some moves for Regionals, but found that it was occupied by none other than Jake and Marley. They were singing a duet of "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri and I felt completely uncomfortable when they finished. I was sure Marley was about to tell him she loved him, so I rushed out unseen.

The following day during rehearsals, I talked to Jake, pretending I hadn't witnessed anything. When the others began to walk in, we separated. He went over to sit with Marley and Ryder took the seat he had left vacant.

"Who's singing today?" I asked him, wanting to break the awkwardness between us.

"Jake," he said. "He's serenading Marley."

"I guess it makes sense," I said. "Now that they've said the L-word there's bound to be love songs flying back-and-forth every day."

He opened his mouth to say something but was stopped when Jake started talking. He sang "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)" and Marley pretty much cried. Heck, even I cried! I looked around as Marley rushed over to hug him and met Sam's gaze. For once all week, he wasn't looking into a mirror or at his muscles. Instead he was watching me. He smiled at me, but I didn't return it. Instead I looked away and waited until we were told we could go to the 'studio' to begin the photo shoot. Once there, Sam became frustrated by everyone's lack of professionalism and marched out, followed by Blaine.

John walked over to me with Kitty while we waited. John smiled and I looked down at their hands. They were interlocked. "We're official!" exclaimed Kitty. She shrieked, hugged me, and I forced a smile. But still, I couldn't help but feel incredibly depressed.