Chapter 30: Singing with Feeling

I didn't see Rachel after that. I didn't even hear from her until the next day's rehearsal.

"Rachel's gone!" Tina announced as she rushed into the set in the auditorium. She was received with a lot of confusion and panic.

"What happened?" Artie asked from the observer table in the audience. Finn looked down at his papers.

"She said she couldn't miss any more school," Tina said. 

"So she just left?" asked Quinn, seeming upset. "We just got off of Spring Break. We promised Finn we'd miss an extra week for this show."

"Just like Berry to flake out like that," said Santana, disappearing backstage.

"It's not a big deal," Finn spoke up, demanding everyone else's attention. "Rachel isn't the star of the show anymore. Jake and Julie will do a great job and so will the rest of you, with or without Rachel's presence. Now let's get back to running this show."

I headed backstage after we we were dismissed and changed into my sweats and sports bra for rehearsals with Ryder. Sam and I were not on speaking terms, so I was by myself backstage. The other girls were also changing out of their outfits and getting ready to go home. 

"You coming?" Kitty asked on her way out.

"I'm staying with Ryder," I told her.

"Again?" she asked, raising her eyebrows at me.

"It's not like that Kitty," I told her, knowing the other girls were listening.

"Maybe Sam was right," Kitty continued. "Maybe there's something there. On his side of things at least. You better watch out Julie." And with that she was gone.

The other girls followed suit, except for Marley. On her way out she stopped in front of me and said, "Ryder is a really sweet guy. Very friendly. Sam will see that eventually. Don't worry." I nodded at her and then she was gone. Quickly, I headed back to the stage, where the set was still up for the prom scene, which we were drilling before being dismissed. Ryder was there, looking around the floor behind the fake houses. I joined him.

"What's up?" I asked. 

"I was doing a move and my watch went up flying back here," he said.

"It may have landed up there," I said, pointing up at the top floor where the girls had their parts. "Help me up." The staircases were pushed back so he helped me onto his broad back and lifted me above to the top floor. Surely enough, the watch was there. I grabbed it and was about to pass it to him. Then we heard two familiar voices.

"I vant to suck your blood!" Sam was saying in his terrible Bela Lugosi voice.

Brittany giggled. "I miss your impressions, Sam," she said. I looked down at Ryder, who was watching me carefully. I indicated for him to not say a word and just listened.

"I miss you, too," Sam responded. My face got hot.

"My impressions?" Brittany responded slowly.

"You," Sam repeated. My eyes stung. Was I hearing correctly?

"I wish we could spend more time together," Brittany went on. "We're graduating soon and you're the one I'd like to spend this time with."

"Me, too," said Sam. I looked back down at Ryder. He heard it, too, by the look on his face. So I wasn't imagining it. We waited for them to go backstage for whatever it is that they came for and didn't come out until they were gone. 

"Julie--" Ryder started once we were alone.

"Let's not talk about it," I said. "We've got a show to get you ready for."