21. "i was shot because of you"

I stared at Jacob in surprise and worry. His eyes were a cold shade and he just stared at my face, no emotion showing at all.

He put his hand up to lay it on my cheek but I quickly stood up. He left his hand out for a second before placing it down.

I still had the same look on my face as I sat down in front of where he was laying. I was still trying to process what he was saying. I was trying to think of a question to ask.

"W-why did she sh-shoot you?" I stuttered out, quietly.

He breathed a deep sigh before answering. "That's not important." He said.

I looked at him like he had two heads. "Yes, it is!" I practically shouted. "I want to know why she shot you! What was the purpose behind it??!"

He exhaled again. He was silent for a fee moments while I stared at him. I could tell by his concentrated look that he was contemplating over telling me or not.

"You." He said suddenly.

"What?" I asked, confused as to what he meant.

He closed his eyes and took another breath. "I was shot because of you."

My eyes widened. "What? Why-"

He cut me off before I could finish my question. "Because of what happened at the mall." He looked at me. "And because when she mentioned you, I defended you."

I stood up quickly as he tried to rub my back. I just couldn't believe this. I'm the reason Jacob got shot.

It's all my fault.

I felt tears burning at my eyelids. I tried to push them away but my eyes were already watering.

I turned around to Jacob and I guess he realized that I was about to cry because his eyes gotten even more soft as he stood up quickly and started walking towards me. But I made sure to put space between us before he could get to me.

"We shouldn't hang out anymore." I said suddenly, not even knowing where that thought was coming from. I was just speaking without thinking. "I don't want you to get in anymore trouble because of me. This is all my fault."

He shook his head as he started speaking. "No, it's not. I'm the one who stood up for you when she brought you up earlier during our dealing meet."

"Yeah, but you wouldn't have had to stand up for me if I wouldn't have acted out, causing you to act up." I responded quickly to which he quickly shut his mouth and stopped talking. He knew I was right.

"I have to take you home." I said, to which he thankfully did not argue.

.....

"Just drop me off here, I'll walk the rest of the way." Jacob said for the billionth time, to which I argued.

"No! You're wounded and I'm not dropping you off anywhere unless it's in front of your house."

"Well then I guess I'm not going home." He replied.

I groaned loudly. "Why won't you just tell me where your house is? I'm tired and I want to go to sleep." I said. Honestly though, I've been practically driving all around the town just waiting for him to tell me his address for the past twenty minutes.

He shrugged. "I just don't want to tell you."

"Why not?!?" I yelled as I abruptly stopped the car, causing him to lurch forward, luckily I forced him to put on a seatbelt before we left. I turned towards him and gave a hard glare. "Just tell me your address." I said, firmly.