Chapter 76

I'm sitting in the heart of the stench of stale cigarettes and the faint scent of marijuana. Frames in every size are hung on all four walls displaying hundreds of options and suggestions for tattoo's, some floral, some involving death and hell, some even showcasing fairies and butterflies in color and black and white. The floors are checkered half way through the shop, then it fades into plain black tiles. Secured glass cases surround the shop as well displaying and protecting tattoo and piercing supplies and whatever you need to maintain them. Queen is playing through the black speakers that are hung fashionably on every corner of the store, and Zayn sits humming along to Bohemian Rhapsody.

"You good, man?" The tattoo artist stops and inches the needle away from his skin to check up on him. This guy is bulky but in no way intimidating. When we were driving here, I thought he was going to be a scary man with a hoarse tone and dangerous vibes, but my typecasting was way off. He has green eyes, or grey, I can't tell which, his hair is in a high bun, and his beard is perfectly trimmed and shaped. And as a bonus, his looks compliments his gentle personality.

"Yeah, I'm all right." He opens his eyes bringing himself back to reality, and gives the man a small smile of reassurance.

"Does it hurt?" I ask removing my back from the chair to lean in, and I can already see his skin reddening.

"No, it stings a bit but that's it."

"Hmm." I hum to myself examining the fresh skull, and without a single flinch, he watches it become permanent on his skin. "So, what's the meaning behind it?"

"No meaning." He shrugs. "Just wanted another skull."

"And the checkered flag?"

"I like races." He cracks a smile at me and I kick my feet up on the small stool in front of me.

I had an early dismissal today so we've been here since twelve thirty. The tattoo artist, his name is Jason by the way, told me stories about fainting clients to keep me entertained through the three hour process and while he finished up Zayn's first tattoo, I went down the street to this parlor shop owned by Italians and bought pizza for us. Three hours well spent if you ask me.

Alan told me that Laveck sent the truancy liaison's to Harry's house since he's been out for three weeks, and apparently it's the fourth time they've gone with no answer. I'm not worried about him because if anything bad happened, Anne would've called me by now so if anything, he's probably drinking and surrounding himself with his friends. I'm just trying to not make him my concern anymore. Life seems to be easier that way.

"So Rapunzel, got any plans for the summer?" Jason asks filling in the skulls eyes. He calls me Rapunzel because of my long hair and dark eyes. He says I'm like a brunette version of her and that my voice resembles a Disney character. He must be deaf because for a girl, I have a pretty deep voice.

"Yeah, might visit my dad in L.A."

"Really?" Zayn chimes in looking up and I nod. "That's cool, you should do it." He encourages.

"Hopefully my parents will let me go for a weeks and not fight me on it." Imagine that. "They're becoming very clingy."

"Gotta rebel while you're still young. It's the best time to." Jason tells me matter-of-factly, "when you're older and you do something you shouldn't, it's not fun because your parents aren't around to find out. But when you're young and do something in secret, it's more thrilling. Like trying not to laugh when the teacher is talking."

"Yeah," Zayn laughs agreeing with his statement that kind of didn't make sense, and arches his back to relieve the stiffness, "get a tattoo."

"What?"