Chapter 33

"Harry, what are you talking about?" My heart is pushing against and away from my chest with fear and anxiety while my legs try to keep up with his quick ones.

"I said we'll talk about it tomorrow. It's late and I want to sleep." He zips the guitar case and leaves it against the wall, shoving the note in his pants pocket while I try and produce everything that just happened.

The stress is tensing my muscles while my brain takes in everything he has told me. They were in my house? In my room? What else did they say? Where did they go? I have so many unanswered questions and the bow in my chest keeps tightening with every change of subject Harry keeps adding.

"You can't do that!" I shout exasperated, "what game are you talking about? I don't want to play a game!" I whine following him into the bedroom. "I don't want to get myself into more trouble Harry, don't provoke them, please!"

"Shh," He steps in front of me and presses his index to my lips to shush me, "just listen to me and go to sleep. We'll worry about it tomorrow, okay? It's been a long day and I'm exhausted." He doesn't seem upset anymore. His idea of "playing their game" has somehow eased his tension and I'm unwilling. It's absolutely insane to do the "eye for an eye" trick with them; they're too dangerous.

He leans in front of me to switch the light off behind me and kisses my forehead in the process. The room is dark with the exception of the city lights outside our window, and he leads me to the bed.

"Harry," I stop him and he turns, "I think you're bi-polar."

A grin filled with humor, he laughs at me. "I know." He throws the blanket and guides me on to the bed with him. He lies on his back and pulls me closely into him, pulling the covers over us to keep us warm while my head and heart both clash against each other. I never know what he's going to say or act and that drives me insane. One second he's happy, the next angry, the next emotional and now--he's calm. "I said tomorrow." He reads my unspoken thoughts then turns my shoulder making half my body press on top of his.

My finger traces down to his cut and I flinch away feeling the raw skin against my fingers. I should've thought twice before I knee'd him there. I was so stupid and over reacted, now look at it; I made it worse.

Holding me in his arms, he presses his lips to my hair and hums, his fingers brushing through it from the roots down to the ends and I close my eyes taking in his touch. "I'm going to say it again," He whispers, "they won't touch you; they never will. Take my word for it, I have it all under control. Trust me."

Of course I trust him, it's them I don't. "What were you feeling when you saw them?" I stare at the dark wall tracing the patterns with my eyes that I've already memorized.

"Angry, impatient, defenseless--"

"Defenseless?" I divert my eyes to his and he's already staring at me.

"Conor was in the car so I couldn't get to them." He had always said that he could take both of them on his own, and when reality caught up with him I think it made him realize that it couldn't work that way.

"I'm glad you didn't do anything." I kiss his chin snuggling closer to him.

"I am too." His arms tighten around me and I take in the smell of his neck. It's the smell of faint cologne and natural scent, the one I've fallen obsessed with since the first time he hugged me, and I kiss him.

I've never doubted his ability to defend me, but it's okay to be scared. I know he is. He's just stubborn and won't tell me and because he wants to make sure I don't have doubts myself, he isn't showing any of his. I would never judge him for being afraid, I would never make fun of him for feeling scared or worried; he's human. Although he's a superhero in my head and heart, in reality; he's just human.