Chapter 41

The excitement of coming here dissolves into worry and out of instinct, my hand grabs the nob and when I turn and push the door open, Harry appears before me; eyes wide and brows creased in anger, and chest rising and falling unrhythmically as Anne stands far behind him sobbing in her hands.

I'm confused and uncertain of what I should say or do.

"Oh, hi," Harry welcomes me with the biggest fake smile and livid eyes, "are you here to talk some more with her? Because if you are, you came at a great time. I'm sure since the both of you have a lot in common when it comes to leaving, you'll have a lot to talk about." He smiles sardonically and just the look in his eyes renders no emotion towards his harsh words.

What the hell is happening?! "Harry, what ar--"

"Mum," he angrily pushes the door open and steps back, interrupting me to prepare his temper and he extends his arm towards his mother. Her soft green eyes opens and looks up to me, drowned in tears and pain that seems to be deeper than the situation but all I can respond with is a sympathetic stare, "your friend is here."

"I don't think that was nec--"

"You are in no position to talk right now." He cuts me off and steps towards me, clenching his jaw and keeping his lips in a hard line as I feel the hurt up rise. I just got here and he already has an attitude. Great. Should've known the "honey moon" stage wasn't going to last long.

"I would be coming to you for comfort right now but you're involved. What a surprise."

Involved? "I didn't do anything." I defend.

Why are there suitcases packed?

"Save the bullshit. You knew for weeks that she was moving away and you didn't say anything to me. You know, you're such a fucking hypocrite." His furious hand attempts to slam the door in my face but I push it open.

His words are hurting me but it's not like I haven't heard them before. He's just angry and I'm partly to blame because I feel like if he had a little heads up, he wouldn't be throwing a fit. On the other hand, he shouldn't throw a fit because I'm almost positive he didn't give her time to fully explain herself.

"Harry!" Anne turns with her jaw dropped, "don't you dare talk to her that way!"

"No, it's fine," I say trying to repress my reaction. What good would it do if I react the same way he is? "It wasn't my position to say anything." I calmly tell him and he rolls his eyes and turns to Anne who has now collected herself a bit.

"Yes it was! You're supposed to tell me."

"No I'm not." I argue and she hangs her head and shakes it towards our argument.

I should've just stayed home.

"Oh, so you can keep secrets but I can't?" He places his hands on his hips as if he's scolding a child and everything is just so uncomfortable. It's awkward arguing in front of her and it's even more stomach twisting that it's now involving me.

"All she did was talk and ask for my opinion, it's not like I encouraged her."

"That's exactly what I told him." Anne speaks up.

"Whatever, I can't trust either of you." Ouch.

"Enough." I hear Anne say but Harry doesn't. She looks so worn out.

"I tell you everything." He always uses that as a comeback when we both know it's not true. He has more secrets than he can keep up with but am I allowed to ask questions about them? No. God forbid I ask about the storage, he'll throw a fit like a five year old.