•29•

Blake

She hasn't said a word. Not one. I told her everything in detail of what happened to me. After that she went mute.

I've been trying to talk to her but the still trees ended up being a better listener than her. I followed behind her as we cut our way through the heart of the woods.

"Will you please just say something?" I ask frustratedly.

No answer. Nothing but the sound of the swaying trees and whispering wind.

"I swear, he was involved w-"

"You're lying," Anna responded dryly, breaking her silent streak.

"I'm not lying!"

She came to a halt and turned her body to me. "Describe him," She crossed her arms, waiting to be amused.

"Seriously?"

"Does it look like I'm joking?" Her intimidating countenance answered her question.

"I can't, I don't even t-"

"That's what I thought," Anna goes to turn around, until my following words stop her.

"Your eyes. They're almost just like his," I sputtered. "Brown hair, tan skin, tall," I mentally pictured him in my mind. "Good looking," I muttered, avoiding her stare.

"What?" She squinted.

"Yes Annalise. He's very attractive, which has his ego blasting through the freakin' roof," I raised my voice. "New girl every week, gets in trouble all the time, always late to school. But nobody cares because he's Drew Parks and can do no wrong," I rambled, letting my annoyance toward him show.

"He's not like that," She shook her head with vigor, still unconvinced. "I don't believe you."

"Believe what you want to. But he's an a-hole," I concluded with no remorse. Her hand then slashed across my face. I whipped off the strands of hair strewn on my face and shoved her shoulders back.

"You wanna go right here, right now?!" Anna was blazing in fury.

"Go head, fight me. But that's not gonna change what Drew did. Why would I lie about something like that?," I took a short pause for emphasis.

"So if you excuse me, I'd like to continue trying to get back home," I walked past her. Leaving her glued in the same spot to let my words marinate in her mind.

"Why. Why would he act like that?" Anna's disembodied voice echoed from behind me. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face her.

"Oh why don't you just call him," Sarcasm intertwines my tone. She threw daggers through her icy blue grey eyes and brushed past me without another word spoken.

We came to a stop when we caught sight of a thin fallen tree trunk, bridging over a bank of partially clear water. Irregular shaped stones were also laid in the water. Majority of the trunk was blanketed by green fury moss.

"Well. Let's cross," Anna proceeds toward the trunk, but stops when she no longer hears my footsteps following after her.

"That doesn't look strong enough."

"It looks fine, now lets's move," She ignored my concern, turning back around. I stood in my spot, searching for any alternative route.

Anna was only a few hundred feet ahead of me when she heaved a sigh. She lifted up the back of her tank and pulled out the gun from the back of her pants.

"Oh you're gonna shoot me now?" I was unfazed.

The gun clicked when she pulled down the lever on the back of her gun. "I'll do what I have to Blake. Now cross the tree or you're getting a bullet in your arm," Anna took a few paces closer.