•35•

Blair

We settled on the firm bright white sleek couch in London's modern style office. Mom insisted that we all accompany her on the interview.

It was no problem with London as to she wanted our input in the article too. She grabbed a chair from elsewhere and positioned the chair on an angle beside us.

"Ok," She had her journal open and pen ready, sitting properly with one leg crossed over the other. "So, Diana. I'm just going to ask you a some questions," London averted her eyes to my father and I. "Feel free to answer too."

We nod accordingly, awaiting for the first question to be asked.

"I'm just gonna start with the basics here. What was going through your mind when you realized Blake was missing?"

My mind instantly rewinded six months ago when Blake didn't come home. I can tell Mom was as well because of her uneasy countenance.

"To be honest, I didn't think much of it," She shifted uncomfortably. "I was hard on her, so my first explanation was that she was just trying to rebel. You know stay out with her friends longer than I allowed."

As Mom spoke, London's expression was solemn as she jotted in her journal.

"And you and your husband were separated for some time, yes?"

The question struck the three of us dumbfounded. How does she even know that?
Wrinkles started to form on Mom's forehead from her intense frown.

"I'm sorry, but I don't see how that pertains to our daughter," Dad cut in. His tone of voice implying that one more question like that, he'd be sent over the edge.

"For this article it'll tie in well with how the tragedy affected you all. This is strictly business. It's not like I'm not writing about Diana's drinking days," London giggled at the last part.

I looked to my Mom with furrowed brows. "What is she talking about?"

She looked down to her lap, letting out a shaky breath. "Can we just move on the next question please?"

"Fine," London agreed, clearing her throat. "Now, you're the mother of this child that disappeared mysteriously. I mean people are still awe-struck how the police failed. Tell me. Tell me how it made you feel when you realized your first born was dea-"

"Alright that's enough," Dad sprang up from the couch. He gently tugged on Mom's arm. She was on the verge of tears when she stood up and clung to Dad's arm.

"We're done here," Dad gave her one of his best intimidating looks and began to head for the door. With unstable looking Mom still on his arm.

When I stood, I reached over and ripped out the page with her jotted notes. London was startled and let out a whisper of a gasp when I ripped the page to shreds and sprinkled the ruins on her floor. I gave her one last scowl and stalked out of her office to catch up to Mom and Dad.

Actions speak louder than words.

I may not be on the best terms with Mom, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let her be exploited.

The car ride home was filled with nothing but silence. Mom had her elbow propped against the window, with her head leaning on her fist. I realized why Dad stopped London when he did. Because Mom felt guilty. Guilty that she didn't fulfill her role as a mother.

She should be though.

When we arrived home, Mom hushed a few words to my father and he saunters off into the kitchen. Leaving my mother and I standing before each other in front of the formal living room.

"Drinking huh?" I crossed my arms. "You wanna go and tell me I need to fix my attitude when you spent your past days getting wasted?"

Mom nodded guiltily. "I was your age when that started actually. I wouldn't say that I was an alcoholic, but I did drink like I was already at the legal age."

I have no words. The same women who tells me to fix my attitude. The same women who likes sparkling floors and the early curfews. The same women who has sophisticated taste in wines, used to underage drink regularly.

What on earth?

"Matter fact, that's where you get your attitude from. Me. You're just like me when I was your age. Your grandmother sent me to a girls disciplinary school for a little while," She looked down to fiddling fingers. I can tell she was reliving it in her mind.

"I was only hard on you because I see so much of me in your personality and I don't want you to end up doing what I did. It arose so many issues in my family. My teenage days weren't that pleasant. I know I'm going to have to keep saying this for the rest of my life, but I'm sorry."

Still lost for words right now.

Mom then rose her arms and wrapped them around me. I kept my arms at my sides, flicking my eyes from left to right. Still bewildered.

I slowly brought my arms up, wrapping them around her.

She pulled away. "Awkward?"

"Awkward," I agreed, giving her a single nod. We laughed at our failed mother-daughter moment attempt.

"Well I'm gonna go talk to your father," Mom pointed her thumb in direction of the kitchen and turned on her heels. I, however lingered in the vicinity, wanting to tune in on their conversation.

"I don't know why I agreed to do that," Mom started.

"That woman needs to learn how to not pry in our business. I guarantee you she had someone find out about your past over the months too," Traces of irritation were still left in Dad's voice.

"It is my fault Robert. My first born child died thinking that I'm cold hearted and mean. Which I was, but I regret it. Every minute of it," Mom sobbed. I wanted to peek at what they were doing. However, there was no doubt that Dad is consoling her with a hug right now.

"Yeah. You were way out of line to act that way toward our kids. I'm telling you right now from this point on, you need to get it together and make it up to our one daughter we still have left."

A a moment of silent goes by until Dad spoke yet again.

"Now, not everyone deserves a second chance. But Di, you do. I know who I married and know that you can go back to the way you used to be," Dad was confident.

"You haven't called me that in years," Mom whispered, I can hear her smile.

I'm glad that my parents are straightening things out between them. Along with Mom trying to turn things around. Yet again, my life takes another unexpected sharp turn.

For the better.

____________________________

A/N > secrets out about Diana haha.

Short, but needed filler. I wanted to really focus on the family these couple chaps.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Votes/Comments, much appreciated xx

-kya h. ∞