•39•

Blake

I cut my succulent rosemary garlic chicken into cubes and each bite bursted with savory juices. It's Dad's recipe, but Mom decided to chip in too. And it tastes amazing. My toes curled at the hardy flavors and my eyes closed as I enjoyed every last bit.

It was quite. Only the sound of our forks jabbing at our plates filled the room. Nobody had the guts to speak up. I've been anticipating somebody to ask what happened.

I want them to know. I want them to how I've been through every type of pain possible. I want them to know that their so called friend did this to me. Out of revenge.

"Why didn't you pay the money Dad?" My voice shook.

He looked up from his plate and knitted his brows together. "What?"

I dug in my back pocket and took out the crinkled photo of Blair and I photographed at Disney World. "Who took this?"

I knew. Why else would Jace have it? Right. Because he's the one who took it.

Blair looked confused, but Mom and Dad's faces gave them away. They knew right off the bat.

"Um," Dad cleared his throat. "An old friend of mine."

"An old friend of yours," I nodded. "Jace right?"

Both Mom and Dad exchanged frightful looks.

"Yeah," Dad mumbled, placing his silverware down.

"Right. Well your so called friend kidnapped me," I let the photo slip from my grasp and it rest on the table in clear view for both Mom and Dad to see.

Mom looked as if she were about to burst into tears. And guilt was plastered all over Dad's face. He opened his mouth to speak, but I answered his question before his words hit the air.

"You never payed him back Dad. You wanna know why you stopped hearing from him after a while?" My eyes were brimming with tears. "Because he was plotting. Plotting to take me away. He was watching us like a ghost. He was waiting for the perfect time to kidnap me so you would know what it felt like to have somebody taken away from you. Like he felt after Sara died."

My tears rolled and my voice poured with emotion. Blair's lips were pursed as she looked at me with sympathy. Mom, on the far end of the table was silently crying.

I didn't mean to make Dad feel guilty. I don't blame him for what happened to me. Jace could've handled this situation a whole lot differently. He thought revenge was the answer. Wrong.

But at the same time, Dad acted selfishly towards him. He should've payed him back when he had the chance.

"I'm so sorry," Dad whispered, burying his head in his hands. Seems like that term has been in everyones mouths lately. Dad's back heaved, signaling that he was crying. Which only made more tears well up.

Everyone's emotions were shot. Silent tears spilled and gloomy looks were worn like uniforms.

I can't take it. I pushed my chair back and stood up. "I'm gonna go to my room."

They didnt bother to speak. Blair was mentally check out. Mom's tears were still rolling. And Dad's face was still in his hands. I didn't mean to make my welcome home dinner turn out this way.