I

Chapter I. New Beginnings

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

-Robert McCloskey

Lauryn's POV

"Are you sure we should be there? I mean, Audi you know Sly going to be pissed if he looks up from his booth and his kid sister is up in his spot twerking on some nigga that work for him" I tried to reason as I watched Audrey brush the back of her mushroom haircut. Audrey and I had been best friend for as long as I could remember. The first thing I knew was that she was danger with a capital "D", her brother ran Flynt. I think I was once told that Sly was the biggest drug dealer in the whole state but, with all of the rumors floating around you never know who to believe.

The thing about Sly that made me so weary of him was the fact that he was almost a whole decade older than us putting him in a whole different category of life to be honest I mean, I just turned 18 about a week ago and now here I was about to celebrate graduating from high school. Not to mention that even Audrey was a little intimidated by him even though nothing really could put the fear of God in her. Audrey continued to fix her hair making me want to push her tall ass. See the thing about Audrey that I hated the most was the fact that she was the color of freshly turned butter with her smooth complexion, I mean she was gorgeous while I was a milk chocolate nugget. We were complete opposites in the looks department Audrey had been blessed with a thin frame that held little to no fat with her having some titties and enough butt to catch any straight man, while I was the fat friend. Wait, let me explain....I wasn't really that fat anymore since I started getting into this workout routine that I started at the gym with my homeboy, Milly. I still think though I could stand to lose some weight because right now I was a pear shape and I was trying to get that Hourglass shape going. I really wanted dudes to notice me instead of focusing on my friend all the time. Yes, she is easy on the eyes but so am I and I deserve to get a little play every now and then.

"Don't you know that I'm grown?" Audrey asked as she continued to feel herself in the mirror making me look over the black dress clinging to her every curve.

"You know if you got to keep saying that, then you probably not grown" I joked smirking a little knowing that Sly already told her fast ass she wasn't ever going to be grown to him.

"Shut up, Elle. You sound like freaking Sly trying to boss me around and shit. He ain't my daddy" she bit out as she pulled her phone from the counter and started snapping away on her phone. Her and them damn pictures she insisted she take every two seconds. I hate pictures because I always look horrible if I wasn't the one taking themselves.

"Okay, okay I hear you in here try to thug on someone but wait 'til we get there and he shut that ass down" I laughed real loud this time. I was so weak at my own joke, Audrey was so mad that I couldn't hold in my laughter. She always was the sensitive type, but that's why I love her. Audrey always made my day better whenever we were together. Pulling my hair down from my high bun I decided that some gel and water would have to do it's thing tonight cause I just wasn't feeling the whole straight look at the moment. My hair was one of the few things that I liked about myself other than my left half sleeve on my arm which consisted of an hourglass with most of the sand at the bottom with a pocket watch leaned against it with roses surrounding it. It was the only thing I had left to remember my parents. They both were no longer in my life so there was really nothing to talk about on that end.

And before you start thinking anything crazy let me explain something....no. I'm not mixed with anything and yes this is all my hair which reaches waist length when stretched. I happened to be one of those girls with a tight (kinky) hair pattern so people rarely saw all of my length. I just had to get that all off my chest before diving in further in who I am. Anyways....