XXI.

Chapter XXI. Broken Clock

"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."

-Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

Lauryn's POV

I moved over some from my slumped position on the sofa. Becca had her legs all in my face while she snored. And Zora was all over my shoulder with her drool just dripping from her open mouth. Alcohol can get the best of any one. The girl's night had been a success in the moment. Even Audi was here, and Becca didn't pick at her for once. I did forget about my Sly drama but, now that I was sober and thinking over things I still don't know where I even stood with him. Do I say something? I mean if he wasn't the one to tell me how would I have even taken the news. I mean could I even trust Leah? Especially when she had Gina talking all that noise as a hype man. But what reason did she even have to lie? I don't even think that I'm on her radar. We ran in different circles but, Sly was famous in a way so I shouldn't even have been surprised.

My phone kept flashing up at me as I pulled myself from the thoughts that were threatening to devour me whole. I knew most of the messages had to be from Sly since my home girls were already here with me and sleeping at that. After all, it was four in the morning. Running my fingers over my hair, which happened to be a knotted mess, I decided I might as well go home and see what Sly was doing. He was on my mind after all. I knew no more sleep would be coming to me with the way that I kept having my mind try to connect the dots of Sly's behavior and maybe the truth in Leah's words.

I pulled my sweatshirt over my bushy hair and grabbed things knowing that I needed my stuff incase this whole situation was just a sad mistake. I quickly sent the text to my group chat as I started my car not wanting the girls to worry. Or maybe I really sent because I didn't want anyone to try to talk me out of going over there. Becca already said she would let me figure it out for myself since she had been in a situation like this before but, a part of me wanted her to just tell me what I should do.

The drive over to Sly's place felt weird. Yes, I was calling it Sly's place, it might not be my home anymore if this whole thing went left. I really needed for this to not be happening because if Leah was being honest Thanksgiving was going to be on one hundred to say the least because the plans where already made. SZA did nothing to calm my overworked mind as I listen to  her sultry voice play lowly over the speakers as I maneuver thought the nearly empty streets. Traffic would have been nice because I wanted to delay this whole thing to be honest. Once I was within ten minutes of the house, I thought maybe I should have called before coming but if his car was outside then I would just use my key and come in.

His car was outside just like I knew it would be but, so was Que's which had me second guessing even coming in. I so didn't need an audience right now. My hands found their way back to my hair as I sat in the car plotting on my next move. How had Leah managed to turn me back into the shy little girl I once was? I thought I moved pass all of the insecurities that once haunted me but, they were threatening to swallow up my mind whole and never let me go. Even, my lungs were straining to take in air. I just sat there fighting with myself but before I could make a move the front door opened with Que and Sly laughing as Que made his way to his car with a blunt hanging out of his mouth. Frozen was the best way to describe me now that I was watching Sly smile at his friend and continue their conversation, with me completely unnoticed.

"I'ma see you bruh later, alright?" Sly called from the door. Before he looked up and saw that I was pulled on the curb just watching him behind my windshield. He looked good, be he always did to me. He had on some joggers and slides with his jewelry still around his neck like he just had come in from somewhere. "Elle?" He questioned as he started to walk towards my car as Que went on about his business. I gulp a lot of air into my mouth as I watched Sly make his way over to my driver door. The expression on my face had to be nervous befuddlement. He opened the door without any protest from me.