XXV.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Chapter XXV.

Sly's POV

Sitting in my Challenger I didn't even know what I was going to do when my baby got back to her Grandmother's house. I think Audi might have been right about playing it cool and chilling but I was already here and I think it was a little late for all that.

I checked my phone again thinking maybe the clock on my dash was wrong because it was saying that it 3am and not a soul appeared to be driving on this street. What could she probably be doing this late while I'm here waiting on her? And it was cold outside so where was she all naked like in that picture. I went through my messages debating if I should text her and see what was up but I knew that wasn't how to go about it. Just as I went to go ahead and pull off I finally saw so life from the house.

The front door opened with Elle's little Granny making it out the door slowly to my car parked on the curb directly in front of her front fence. As she got to the car I rolled down the window to see what she could want at this hour. "What you doing out here? You have my neighbor calling me about a car parked in front my house at this hour" she said as her small face came as close to the window as her age would allow. The way her accent rushed her words it might have been hard to understand her if, I had been seeing her on the regular when I was around Elle.

"My bad, I didn't mean to have the neighborhood watch all down your throat Ms. Mariam. I thought Lauryn would be getting in by now" I said glance at my phone to see the only new text I was getting was from some of my old hoes but I wasn't entertaining them like that. I would occasionally respond to their text to keep some of the gossip down about my business but I wasn't sleep with none of them. Okay, at least not anymore. You can't except a man to survive off of bread alone.

She shook her head as she appeared to look for the right words for this situation. Without any real dilberation she started talking, "You know she got a phone why not call instead of sitting outside of my house like a psychopath from one of those Lifetime movies?" She asked as she put her hands on her hips not even backing down as I frowned my face at her.

"She don't be remembering her phone like that so, I just wanted to make sure she good" I lied not wanting to look like a clown. I had not even texted Elle since the picture because I didn't want to seem like I was watching ever single move she made. She said space so I would give a little breathing room.

"Well, maybe you need to give her some space. If I was her I wouldn't want you waiting on me like this when I get from minding my business. So go ahead and get from in front of my house and have a goodnight, Silvester." She said as she started going back in not even sparing me a second look. I slammed my hand on my steering wheel not even sure of my next move.

There was not way that I was going to be able to sleep not knowing that she was good. I quickly text her not even sending the picture not wanting to argue. 'You good?'

'Yeah' she replied quickly as I pulled away from her Grandmother's house. My mind was racing because I was sure if I should be going to my house or if I should be just riding around my city and thinking of all the spots she could be.

'I hope you had fun tonight' I finally told my car to send to her seeing no reason in trying to play to many games with her. Especially when the ball was in her court.

'I did' she replied giving me nothing to work with. Now I was just getting mad but I mean who was to blame other than me for the mess I made from creeping. Sighing loud in my car  as I got on the highway to go home I didn't even think there was much left to say. 'Good night, Sly' came into my phone surprising me a little because she never double text me and usually left messages that didn't necessarily need a message on read all the time now.

'Goodnight and be safe' I replied putting my phone on do not disturb because it was no point in worrying myself to death. Next week was Christmas and I was going to have to do something big if I hoped to win her over.

Man I have my work cut out for me but, I definitely wasn't going to go home with all these feelings. I decided to go to the warehouse and get some work done. I did still have moves that need to be made whether or not I was playing love games.

Lauryn's POV

'Always am' I replied as I went back to chilling with AD. He was so different than what I thought. I just knew he was going to be super aggressive with his flirting now that Zora had left to go home since she has Christmas stuff to work on for her household.

I threw my phone down on the table at Waffle House and started to work on my patty melt. "Your dude?" AD asked from his seat across from me eating what was left of his waffle and started to work on his smothered hash browns.

"Something like that. He not-" before I could finish he put his finger to my lips letting me know he didn't need that long explanation again.

"Your man. I got it. But must got some hold on you if you still answering, right?" He asked waiting on me. I chewed slowly as I thought about his question. If Sly had the hold he thought then I wouldn't have went to the new club about 30 minutes out of town last night knowing that Sly hated not having eyes on me. And definitely won't have let AD taking me to this late night meal alone even though, Zora was invited too.

"No he doesn't. I'm just trying to find space to be able coexist with him. It just hard" I said bitting my lip losing my appetite from the turn in the conversation. We had been joking and having a good time so why, did it have to get so serious.

"Come 'mere." He said leaning in his booth making room for me. I pushed my fur coat all the way off my shoulders as got up to sit in his side of the booth. Once I was on his side I waited for him to start talking but he just chilled in his seat letting me soak him in.

“AD, what you thinking?” I asked. He smirked and cleared his throat and pulled me closer to him. I was surprised slightly because this was the most forward he had been all night.

“Digging you out to be real. But, I dont think you ready for all that” He joked as he smiled so I could see his sexy smile. I would be lying if I didn’t say that he had me a little damp thinking about him and me naked. My heart raced with excitement but, my brain was starting to analyze his words and kept telling me I was wrong to even like AD at all. It felt like I was betraying Sly because for some reason I felt like I was being disloyal to him when he wasn’t even my man. How dare Sly have this kind of power over me. Who was he to have me feeling like a cheater when I was the one always doing the right thing.

“AD...you got me all off guard” I said not even sure what to say to be honest. I did want to move on from Sly but, I wasnt sure if this was the best way for me. “Now, I over here thinking about you” I giggled.

“You not ready for all that with me anyway so, its cool. You chill as hell so you still good in my books either way” he said in-between sips of his drink.

“It might come to fruition, you never know” I flirted back as I got comfortable under his arm.

“Not with the way that dude keep tabs on you from what Money told me. But, I get it if you were my shorty I would be on your thick ass too” he said licking his lips in a natural way like his was just part of his mannerism.

“I guess, but we still going to kick it since you definitely need friends in the city” I said trying to lighten the mood not even sure if AD and Sly would be able to handle knowing the other existed.

"You already know. Now let's get up out of here. I got a client on the morning coming to get this Midas touch" he laughed showing that smile as he slapped a hefty tip on the table and waiting for me to gather my belong to make our way to his black out Tahoe.

"The golden touch, huh?" I laughed as he helped me get in to the he passenger side of the car. His hand slipped a little low on my back from the warm I felt at the end of the arch in my back.

"See, you might just find out" he laughed as he got comfortable to drive me home. I smiled feel like I was starting something I just might finish.

Author's Note: Sorry for the wait. I know....I know it's sooooo short. I should have another chapter up in a few. Be sure to let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy and had a happy and safe holiday.😘