Chapter Eight

Ered Luin,

Late Winter, 2940

   Thorin paced back and forth recklessly inside the parlor room of his home.  Thorin hadn't been the same since Lydia had left. He went searching for her, and during those many searches of finding her, he could never find her---sadly the dwarf had given up hope--he feared she would have died out in the wild.  Grief and anger had taken control of him.  It was one day, Balin sat down and talked with Thorin.  "Laddie, she's gone--she will never be seen again--its time that you moved on! Remember you have a quest to think about! You've been planning this quest for some time now, and it's time that you get your act together--although I don't approve on us going back there, but if that's what you wish, we'll see to it." said Balin.  "I cannot enter Erebor, not without Lydia by my side! I want her to become my Queen, Balin!" snapped Thorin, angrily.  "Come on, lad! You don't need a lass in your life! You don't even want a wife! You have no time for that now! It's time to focus on the present!" spoke up Dwalin, firmly . 

 "You are right, Dwalin. All of you are right--its time for for me move on! And I will see to that we'll make it to Erebor before Durin's Day!" said Thorin. "Good! That's what we needed to hear, lad! Oh and aren't you supposed to be meeting with Gandalf in Bree?" asked Balin.  "Yes.  He told me he wants to speak with me plus, he's going to introduce me to someone who will be joining us--a fifteenth member." said Thorin.  "I thought there were going to be fourteen? I thought it only be the Halfling coming with us?" asked Dwalin.  "He mentioned to me in a letter than another dwarf is coming with us, by the name is Vera Redstone."  Thorin replied.  "Great, and a female one at that." grumbled Dwalin. "Dwalin, Gandalf mentioned that this Vera is fierce in battle, and she knows her weapons--but I'm having my doubts about her joining us." said Thorin.  "Then, why don't you tell the wizard?" said Dwalin.  "And I shall!" said Thorin, as he threw on his coat, and he reached for his axe, and he left his house.

Village of Bree
Several Days later..

   It was a rainy evening as Thorin arrived in Bree, as he made it to the Prancing Pony Inn.   Once he made it inside, Thorin removed his cloak and he took a seat at a table, as he waited for his friend to arrive.  And it wasn't long that Gandalf arrived, followed by a dwarf who came in with him.  The Dwarf female had long black hair, and green eyes,  and dressed in a purple tunic, black leggings, and a green cloak.  So this must be the Vera Redstone the wizard had written about in his letter, thought Thorin.   "Good evening, Thorin! I see that you've made it, in spite of the rain!" said Gandalf.  "Yes, I've made it. Now who is this fifteenth member you've mentioned to me about?" asked Thorin.   "Thorin, meet Vera Redstone, a friend of mine--she is from the Iron Hills." said Gandalf.  This made Thorin angry.  "WHAT? Don't tell me Dain has sent her to join us?! She's about as worthless as a dull bladed sword!!" shouted Thorin, angrily. 

 "Thorin she is a fierce warrior, please give her a chance--she has no where to go.  She has no home, no funds or means of a place to stay. Her only way to survive is for her to join you and your  Company." said Gandalf.  "The answer is no, Gandalf! No woman will be joining this quest! She's better off left behind!" snapped Thorin.  "Now you listen here, you selfish little shit!! Didn't you hear what the wizard said? You don't have any idea about me do you?" shouted Vera,  as she stepped forward, angrily  glaring at the Dwarf Leader. "No! I don't know anything about you! That's precisely why you're not joining us!" shouted Thorin.  "Gandalf, he's right--he doesn't need a woman on this trip! I'm better off staying here and continue working as a barmaid!" snapped Vera, and she stormed away from the wizard and dwarf. "VERA!"Gandalf called out to her, when he noticed she had dropped something on the floor.  It was a necklace. 

  Gandalf picked up the necklace and looked at it, and on it read the initials LS.  "Lydia Silverbeard!" gasped Gandalf  "What's wrong, Gandalf?" asked Thorin.  "You must excuse me for a minute, Thorin!" said Gandalf quickly, and the wizard followed the path of where Vera had went. 

***************************************************************************************

  Shortly, Gandalf had found Vera in her room, and he entered.  "I like to have a word with you, Miss SIlverbeard!" spoke up the wizard.  Suddenly the woman's eyes widened in shock, when she had been addressed by her real name.  "That name no longer exists, Tharkun! And I wish for you not to address me by that name again!" snapped Vera darkly.   "You have some explaining to do, young lady! What is going on?" asked Gandalf,firmly. And so she told Gandalf everything that happened, and her trip to Rivendell, and her decision of changing her identity to protect herself from her sister, Charmaine.  "Why didn't you call me? I would've came up a better solution for your situation! Don't you realize how much part of your life you had to give up? Not to mention leaving a certain dwarf broken hearted?" Gandalf scorned the dwarf woman.

"I tried to find you, Gandalf, but I couldn't! I would have came to you, if I knew where you were at! And by the way, how did you find out about me?" asked Lydia, sharply.  "You've dropped this on the floor, which gave you away." said the wizard, as he handed over the necklace to Lydia. "Thank you. And as for courting any dwarves, I don't even remember courting anyone." continued the woman.  "Oh, is that so? The last time I checked on you, you were courting Thorin, and you lived not that far from him in Ered Luin!" said Gandalf.  "Thorin? The Dwarf Prince? Have you lost your mind, Gandalf? What makes you think I would court that arrogant son of a.." began Lydia.   Gandalf looked at Lydia with a very worried expression. "Lydia, did the elves erase your memory?" asked the Wizard.  Lydia remained silent.  "Answer me, woman! Did they erase your memory?" demanded the wizard, sharply. "I don't know, Gandalf! I don't know!" cried out Lydia, as she quickly turned away from the wizard.  

 Gandalf placed his hand on Lydia's shoulder.  "Lydia--did you ask the elves to erase your memory?" Gandalf asked her quietly. "Yes, Gandalf." said Lydia, her voice broken with emotion. "Lydia,  I understand your intentions completely, but giving up those you love dearly can cost you--I hope you know that.  You should have came to me first about your situation with Charmaine!"  said Gandalf, gently.  "I know, Gandalf." said Lydia quietly.  "Here is what I'm going to do--I'm going to use someof my magic to bring back your original memories! When I looked at Thorin tonight, I looked upon a very broken dwarf!" said Gandalf.  "But I don't love Thorin! I barely know him!" shouted Lydia, angrily. "That is not necessarily true, Lydia--you did love him--up until you got your memory erased! And I am going to bring those same memories back to you! Just hold still, it will only take a few minutes!" said Gandalf. 

 "Do you really have to do this?" said Lydia.  "Trust me, Lydia--in the long run, you'll thank me for this!" said Gandalf,as he closed his eyes, and placing his hands on the dwarf woman's shoulders.  Fifteen minutes later, Gandalf opened his eyes, and stood back.  "Just lay there and rest a while, Lydia. You will need it, especially when you will be joining us on the quest  to Erebor!" said Gandalf, and he left Lydia's room.  After that Gandalf went back downstairs, and he still held the necklace that belonged to Lydia, as he planned on showing it to Thorin.    As Gandalf entered the dining area of the Inn,  Thorin looked at the wizard.  "What is going on? Did Vera went into her woman break down and you had to console her?" asked Thorin, sarcastically. "Thorin, before you begin another one of your sexist rants, there is something I am going to give to you, and to tell you the truth about our fifteenth member!" began Gandalf, and he handed over the necklace to Thorin. 

 Thorin's eyes widened in shock and surprise, as he remembered the necklace well--because he made the necklace himself, years ago back in Erebor, and he made it especially for Lydia.  Thorin noticed the initials of LB on the center piece of the necklace.  "No, it cannot be!" gasped Thorin quietly.  Then he stood up and glared angrily at the wizard. "Where is she Gandalf? Is she alive? Where is Lydia? Where can I find her?!" demanded Thorin, hotly.  "I know exactly where she is, Thorin. She is here, in room 223 on the second floor!" said Gandalf with a smirk.  Suddenly, Thorin darted away from the table.  "Don't be too hard on her!" The wizard called out to the dwarf.