Chapter Twenty-Two

Time Skip

Erebor

   The Company arrived in Erebor, and they had to leave behind Kili due to his injuries, and joining Kili is Oin and Bofur.  Oin stayed behind so he could take care of Kili's injuries while Bofur whom overslept due to getting drunk the night before at the Feast.   Once they arrived at the Mountain and reached the Hidden Door and opened it, they entered the Mountain.   Lydia gasped, it had been years since she had last been inside the great kingdom, and she became teary eyed, as well as the rest of the Dwarves.  Lydia noticed tears in Thorin's eyes as well, as Thorin placed his hands on the walls.  "I know these halls, these walls, the stone!  I remember chambers filled with Golden Light! Do you remember, Balin?" said Thorin, quietly.   "Yes, I remember!" said Balin softly as he wiped a tear from his eye.   "What is that?" asked Bilbo, pointing towards some scripture on one of the Mountain Walls. Gloin read the script aloud, translating it to the others. 

  "The Arkenstone?" said Bilbo, questioningly.  "The King's Jewel!" said Balin.  "And that Master Burglar, is why you're here!" said Thorin.  "What are you trying to tell me you're going to send him down there all by himself?!" exclaimed Lydia.  "Yes, that is part of his job, Lydia! As written in his contract." said Thorin.  "Contract, smontract! I'm going down there and him!" said Lydia, sharply. Suddenly, she felt Thorin's hand on her shoulder.  "No! You are staying right here! This is Mister Baggin's job and his job alone!" Thorin snapped hotly.  "You can't stop me from what I want to do! If he needs help, I'm going to help him, damn it!! I am part of this Company too!" shot back Lydia. "Lydia, you have dwarf blood in you! The Dragon can smell you!" argued Thorin.  "Well obviously Thorin you have forgotten that I have my magic, and I'm a skin changer as well!" said Lydia.  "Lydia, no! Don't! Remember what Gandalf had warned you? Just be careful if you do use your magic!" broke in Balin.  

 "Look, you don't have to worry about me! I'll be fine! Bilbo and I will fine the stone, and Bilbo will bring it to you!" said Lydia.  Thorin sighed. "Very well! Go with the Hobbit! But please, Lydia! Promise me you won't do anything rash!" said Thorin. "I can't guarantee you anything on that, Thorin, but I'll keep my composure." said Lydia, and she kissed Thorin on the lips and she walked away.   Lydia soon followed the Hobbit's tracks, as she entered the treasury, and she could see Bilbo quietly searching in the mounds of gold for the King's Jewel.    "Hurry, Bilbo! The Dragon will waken any minute!" Lydia whispered to Bilbo.   The Hobbit could feel Lydia's presence, and he turned to her. "Li, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with the others! This is to dangerous for you to be down here! Go back!" hissed the hobbit, quietly.  "I can't.  Thorin sent me down to help!" Lydia replied.  "What is he thinking? Has he lost his mind?! He's putting your life at risk!" said Bilbo. "Bilbo, just continue searching okay?!" said Lydia.  Suddenly, to their shock and horror, they could feel the entire mountain move. 

  Oh shit! We've been caught! Lydia's mind panicked.     "Well thief! I smell you! I feel your air!"  spoke up a deep voice, whom both of them knew belonged to the dragon.   "Come now! Don't be shy! Come into the light!" the dragon continued.  Lydia ran and hid, as Bilbo quickly put on his ring, which made him invisible.  "Bilbo! Do something! Distract him!" Lydia whispered to the Hobbit.  Bilbo nodded, as he turned to face the Dragon.  As both the Hobbit and Dragon spoke, Lydia remained in her hiding spot.  No, no, no! I have to do something, I should help him.  And I know one way to to do it! I don't care if Gandalf warned me about it,  thought Lydia.   And so Lydia began to use her magic.  "There are more with you, Barrel Rider! I can smell it! You have a woman with you!  A DWARF woman!" said Smaug.  "A Dwarf woman? What Dwarf woman? There's no dwarf woman here!" said Bilbo quickly.  "You're not only a good thief, but a liar as well!" purred Smaug.   Suddenly, they saw a flash of light inside the treasury. "WHAT IN VALAR'S NAME?!" cried out the Hobbit.  "What in the hell is that?!" barked Smaug.