Chapter Ten

Thorin enters the Hobbit's home, as Gandalf introduces Bilbo to the Dwarf.  "So! This is a hobbit! So tell me, Mister Baggins, do you have any skills in fighting? Weapon of choice, axe or sword?" said Thorin, as he circled around the Hobbit.  "Well, I have some skills in conkers, but I'm afraid that it's irrelevant.  " said Bilbo.  "Thought as much! You look more a grocer, than a burglar!" smirked Thorin, with several members of the Company chuckling afterwards.  "That is rude! How dare you make fun of your host who's kindly taking you in his home and feeding you!! He did expect this to happen you  know and this is how you treat him! BAH!" Lydia snapped at Thorin, angrily. "Lydia, you didn't have to do that!" said Bilbo.  "Bilbo, you are a very kind host, and we thank you for your hospitality. You don't deserve to get poked fun of by rude people!" said Lydia.   Thorin looked at Lydia in shock,  as he tried to figure out why she had snapped at him.  Thorin turned away, as he followed the Dwarves into the Dining room,as they began their meeting. 

  Once the meeting came to an end,  Balin made out a contract for the Hobbit, as he read over the contract, as Bofur tried to give Bilbo a scare about furnaces with wings, which he had meant the Dragon whom is still laying inside the Mountain.  And the whole thing caused Bilbo to faint, as Gandalf quickly came to Bilbo's aid, and he lifted him up, and carrying him to his study.  Meanwhile, Lydia wanted to be alone, still feeling very annoyed with Thorin's action, and she was about to step outside, when she felt Thorin's hand, touching her shoulder.  "Would you mind telling me what all that was about earlier, Lydia?" asked Thorin, firmly.  "I will tell you what all of that is about! Have you been raised with manners of treating your hosts more properly?" asked Lydia, sharply.  "Lydia, I was only kidding with him! It's a joke! Ha ha, funny?!" shot back Thorin. 

 "Well Mister Baggins doesn't think its funny--you don't like him do you?" asked Lydia. "Lydia, why are you asking me this? The Hobbit is a nice fellow by any means, it's just that Hobbits cannot be going on dangerous quests! You've heard him--he only knows a game--a game! He doesn't know much about combat! He's going to be nothing but a burden throughout the quest!" said Thorin.  "Well one of us is going to teach him to fight--and if you're not going to train him, I WILL!" hissed Lydia.   Suddenly, a cloud of jealousy grew within the dwarf, as his eyes flashed in anger at Lydia.  "You will not do anything with that HOBBIT! You understand me?! You are my woman! And I'll be damned some other will take you from me!!" barked Thorin. "I cannot believe I'm hearing this!! What is your problem, Thorin? Am I not allowed to be friends with anyone in your company?! Or am I limited to who I  should speak too?! I'm sorry Thorin! It's wrong, flat out wrong! I love you dearly, Thorin, but it's your attitude towards me that really pisses me off!" Lydia screamed, as she went into one of Bilbo's guests rooms and slammed the door. 

 ******************************************************************************************

Later on that same evening..

   "What is troubling you laddie?" asked Balin, as he noticed Thorin looking distressed.  "Lydia and I just had our first row--she got mad at me over my remark about our burglar." grumbled Thorin.   "Thorin, she is defending the Hobbit, because he's been such a kind host to us, and you should be grateful to him to, for giving us food and shelter.  As for him joining us, Gandalf may be right--the Hobbit could be filled with surprises up his sleep. I just seen some pictures of his Took relatives, whom are known adventurers." said Balin.  Thorin closed his eyes and sighs.   "You are right, Balin.   Maybe I should have never went off on her--I was just jealous--and protective of her-!" said Thorin.  "A part of you is still upset of her leaving us, am I correct?" said Balin.  "Yes, Balin--I wished she could have told me more about her side quest--and worse, she went to the elves for help, that's what angered me even more!" said Thorin. 

 "You should have told her how you felt earlier, to get it out--and maybe now's the time you and Lydia talk!" said Balin.  And so Thorin walked towards the guest room where Lydia had been resting, and he knocked on the door. "Lydia? You don't mind if I come in?" Thorin called out to her. "Come in, Thorin!" Lydia called back, her voice sounding tired, as she was about to fall asleep.  Thorin entered the guest room, as he saw Lydia whom was about to climb into bed. "Lydia, I'm sorry for the way I acted towards you, it's just--I'm upset that you had left--and I felt worried I would never see you again! I thought you died! That is why I am protective of you, Lydia! I don't want to lose you!" said Thorin gently, as he sat down next to her on the bed. "I understand you're protective of me, Thorin--but you don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine!" said Lydia gently.  "Good! I was hoping you would say that!" said Thorin, with a slight chuckle.

  And the two of them sat in silence for a while, when suddenly they could hear the dwarves tuning their instruments from Bilbo's sitting room. "How would you like to join us in the sitting room, Lydia? We're about to play some music!" said Thorin.  Lydia smiled, and she stood up. "I love to! You brought your harp with you, didn't you?" Lydia asked.  Thorin grinned. "Of course I brought my harp with me!" said Thorin, as the two of them left the guest room, as they made way towards Bilbo's sitting room.  Once they entered the room, Thorin and Lydia sat down, as Balin brought in Thorin's harp to him.  Afterwards, Balin took his seat next to Thorin, as he positioned his viol on his lap.   Thorin picked up his harp, and he placed the instrument on his lap, and positioned his large fingers on the silver strings, as he struck the harp.  Once he did,  the rest of the dwarves joined in with him on their instruments.  Lydia smiled.  She had longed missed hearing the dwarves play their music and sing together, which it had been years since she last heard them play together.

 And it had been a long time since she last heard Thorin play his harp, which she thoroughly enjoyed.  Presently, Thorin began to sing in his deep rich baritone, shortly followed by the rest of the dwarves:

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away, ere break of day

To find our long, forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the height

The winds were moaning in the night

The fire is red, it flaming spread

The trees like torches, blazed with light. 

  And Thorin and the dwarves played like that for hours.   As the song came to an end, the Dwarves wished Lydia good night, as they went to bed, leaving Lydia and Thorin the only ones awake.  Thorin turned to Lydia.  "You and I should get our rest as well." said Thorin, now standing up. "Thorin?" said Lydia. "Mm?" hummed the Dwarf.  "Will you stay with me in the guest room tonight?" asked Lydia.  Thorin smiled.  "I would love to stay with you in the guest room tonight! Come on, let's go on to bed!" said Thorin, as the two of them walked back to the guest room, and they climbed into bed.  Thorin pulled Lydia into his arms, holding her close to his chest.  Lydia leaned towards him, laying her head gently on the dwarf's broad chest, as the Dwarf gently ran his fingers through her hair, as he began to hum softly, and then he sang quietly in her ear:

Far over the misty mountains grim

To dungeons deep and caverns dim

We must away, ere break of day

We'll win our harps and gold from him!

 Lydia dozed off into a peaceful sleep to the sounds of Thorin's rapid heart beat, and his soft singing, with a smile on her lips.  Thorin gently kissed her cheek. "Good night, imur!" Thorin whispered to his beloved.