{five}

Frostleaf looks like she was ready to puke. Sparkfur glanced sideways at her partner. She'd rather call her 'partner,' because she was way past the age of apprentice, clocking in at around nineteen moons. Young, but still six moons older than the young golden warrior.

Sparkfur sighed and glanced around at the cats milling about, talking about what could have happened. Waspclaw kept saying he thought it was Fallowtail: the she-cat who found the body. Sedgeheart had been the partnering deputy to Waspclaw. Sparkfur figured they'd be rivals-- she'd figured out they were actually good friends. Fallowtail was obviously innocent: Sedgeheart fought with his attacker and the thin she-cat didn't have a scratch on her. Sparkfur breathed in deeply. Attackers. There had to be at least two, judging by the thick scent of rogue in the air. It had traces of two-leg on it, so one of the rogues probably just left the life of softness.

She stood up, looking over to Frostleaf, who couldn't set eyes on the black tom.

"For an ex-medicine cat, your a little queasy around dead bodies." Sparkfur remarked.

"I heal living cats, not..." She flicked her tail absently. Sparkfur nodded, understanding.

There was a bit of a clamor as a gray cat swiftly leaped over some brush, his long feathery fur sweeping behind him. He skidded to a stop, dropping a freshly caught bird, his dark green eyes wide.

"Sedgeheart..!" He said weekly.

"Mintstar, we think it was Fallowtail!" Waspclaw hissed to the gray tom. Fallowtail was sitting off to the side, crying, while some she-cats tried to comfort her.

"Mintstar don't listen to that mouse-brain." Sparkfur stood up, padding over to the leader who stood at the passed deputy's cold body. Mintstar nodded deftly. "Fallowtail doesn't have any of the strength needed to murder this cat." She flicked her tail, pacing. "If Waspclaw had half the mind, he would have remembered we're plagued with the Rogue Band." Waspclaw snarled, baring his teeth.

"Cut it out for just one day, Sparkfur! Sedgeheart is dead!" the ginger tabby snarled. Waspclaw's a dull ginger fur stood on end, his dark stripes looking like shadows. Sparkfur was unruffled by his show of strength.

"I know he is, and it's not right, but only the truth will solve what killed him; not desperate attempts for an explanation." She said simply, flicking a look over her shoulder at him. Somewhere between sassy and just plain 'get rekt.'

Mintstar waved his tail.

"Sedgeheart was loyal and just cat. He did not deserve to die. Currently, the rogues are prime suspect."

"'Prime suspect?'It's obvious they did it...." Sparkfur mumbled in Frostleaf's good ear. She ruffled her fur in response, but the golden she-cat didn't know what she meant by it.

"We will keep looking into ways to stop the rogues. For now... We will take his body back to camp like any other fallen warrior. He will have his vigil, as he is entitled to one." Sparkfur turned on a paw and began trekking back to camp.

"Hey, shouldn't we walk with the others back?" The white shecat asked, trying to catch up to the long-legged female's brisk pace.

"No need. It'll get all crowded, and I'd rather get back sooner than later." Frostleaf nodded, struggling to match pace as they hiked from the murder-scene on the border.

Berryfoot looked up from where he was sitting talking to some warriors to see Sparkfur.

"Hey, Sparkfur! Just in time!" Sparkfur looked up. Did he even have the right to talk to her? She breathed out shortly and padded over.