{twenty}

She could see the dawn light just barely touch the sky. Hear the battle cries of rouges preparing to dash off to war. It's selfish to hope for StarClan to save me, when I know they should be saving whichever clan is about to be attacked.

Sparkfur swallowed, trying to moisten her dry throat. Blood was matted in her pelt, the red liquid had clotted and no longer poured out of her like water down a river. She shakily began to stand up. The score to her shoulder stung, bleeding a little as she did such a dangerous feat of standing right after being beat by the leader of the rouge band. Not as good as you thought, Sparky.

Wincing, she limped over to where the exit was.. She took a few pawsteps back before leaping gracelessly through the slim broken glass window, tumbling to the ground on the other side. The fresh wound to her flank reopened as soon as she had done so, blood tricking down her back leg. If Spruceclaw is determined to fight the clans, he'd have taken all of his best warriors. This place will be empty-- except for the queens. They might not know that I'm not one of them yet.. If I'm lucky.

      She forced herself back onto her paws after a few moments of rest.

     Take a pawstep.

      Now another.

      You can do it.

      Stone steps led her down to the first floor of the abandoned twoleg camp. She knew exactly which open entrance housed Gray, Gray's friend, and those kits. That kit. The kit she was supposed to be looking after. She used the frame of the entrance to support her, leaning heavily against it. The queens all looked worried as they talked quietly amount themselves-- there weren't any guards in the room.

       Finally one had glanced over and noticed the bloodied, battered warrior.

      "Hey..! It's Spark!" She whispered. All eyes turned to her. They know who I am.. The only way they know my name is if they know I'm from the clans.

Sparkfur didn't know what to say. 'Sorry to intrude?' 'Please don't kill me?' 'I'm innocent?' There was a sudden hush in the room.

      "Please, get us out of here. Take us back to our owners." A patched she-cat spoke up, a bright orange collar around her neck. Spark looked up, green eyes huge. They didn't want her pelt as a paw-warmer after all.

"What.. Why?" Her voice was hoarse.

"..because we never chose to be here." The feathery form of a huge silver tabby leaping down from the highest perch caught the warrior's eye. Arden.

This time, Spark didn't have time to freak out about how small she felt compared to the long-furred she-cat.

"Aren't you.. You know, loyal to the Rouges?" Sparkfur offered, trying to find the right words. She already knew the answer, it was obvious now.

"You can't be loyal to cats who force you in and murder your kits." Arden growled, turning and leaping back up to her nest, standing tall. "We're all getting out of this trash pit. We're going back to our homes, or if you'd rather, I'm sure the clans would be open to queens." She cast an icy blue glance down to Sparkfur. Spark wasn't sure-- she knew the clans would never turn down a queen. More kits means more future warriors. While most leaders would deny it they were always selfish on that aspect.

     "I'm not sure... We'd have to get there without running into the rouges, and even then, the clans will be at war.

     "Then we leave now. Go to the clans after the battle." Arden said simply. "Both dens of queens. And if any clan cats perish in the fight, I'm sure most cats wouldn't mind being the replacement." Sparkfur narrowed her eyes.