{twelve}

She had never seen anything quite like it. DrizzeClan had always been laid-back when it came to training: mentors would take their apprentice out whenever they felt the right time of day, sometimes with other apprentices and mentors and go easy and work them until they were at their limit.

This was nothing like that.

Sparring cats fought in pairs, an occasional screech of pain. Claws were unsheathed. But it was oddly organized. If a cat wasn't sparring, it was running laps or climbing twoleg boxes.

Overnight, the make-shift dens had been pushed to the sides except for the recruit box tower den that was being used for climbing practice.

"Come on, Spark! You're already a little late; Cecil'll have your tail if he doesn't see you soon!" Daisy dragged the golden tabby she-cat out of the recruit den.

"I'm coming... Where is he?" She looked around for the stone gray tabby.

"He's on the top of one of the recruit den pillars. Probably watching us." Daisy's voice was soft. Spark tried to forget what Rust had said about her giving up her kits, but every time she saw her soft ginger face, she had to turn away.

She had never had to face such terrible things like that in DrizzleClan.

"Move it, you pelican." She was shoved aside by a passing creamy and pale golden tabby patched she-cat, who glared back to Spark.

"Some pelicans could eat a kit whole, so I accept your insult." Sparkfur sniffed sassily, tipping her chin up. The patched she-cat curled her lip and padded closer to Spark.

"You think your some smarty? I bet I could claw you so hard you're next of kin could feel it!" She growled.

"Please calm down, Olice..!" Daisy soothed, softly stepping in between the two fiery females. The patched tabby flicked her thin tail.

"Whatever. She was in my way, and I have places to be!" She spinned around and padded off in the direction of two unknown sparring cats.

"Someone's got anger issues..." Sparkfur growled, blinking up to Daisy. The pale ginger tabby looked down at her paws.

"I heard they killed her mother to get her to join." Daisy murmured. Sparkfur opened her mouth, ready to say something sharp, but closed her mouth. She looked to her paws and gave a small nod, and looked back up to see Cecil's yellowy amber eyes looking down on them.

Spark narrowed her own emerald eyes and clawed her way up the nearest pillar of boxes. Growing up in the dense foresty clan of DrizzleClan she was always racing up and down huge oaks.

"I'm here," she said boldly, one box shorter than the large gray tabby.

"I can see that." He stood up from his sitting position, scaling down the boxes. She followed in suit, annoyed and wanting to start. She had to get out, she had to go to the meeting spot, and she had to track down the leader, and she had to do something regrettable to them. That was what was going to fill that hole ripped in her heart. It had to be.

She skidded to a stop as she hit the cold strange ground: solid like stone but smooth unlike the ridged rocks in the forest.

"Well?" She glared at him, slim shoulders square. He gave an annoyed sigh.

"Olio, or whatever your name is, get over here." He half shouted. The creamy golden tabby patched she-cat came over, her yellowy green eyes burning holes in Sparkfur.

"It's Olice."

"Yeah, whatever. Spar with this sad excuse for a cat." Sparkfur's back fur stood on end, and the opposing cat grinned, unsheathing her claws.