{thirty-one}

"Sparkfur... Sparkfur!" Thunder crashed in the sky, rain pummeling down on the stone roof of Sparkfur's den. She blinked her eyes open blearily. Big kit-blue eyes met hers.

"Hm..?" she mumbled sleepily.

"....I'm scared." Her eyes adjusted, and she could see Briarkit much clearer now. His dark fur was on end, his eyes wide. She glanced over to where Frostheart lay asleep; Squirrelkit, Emberkit, and Hazelkit also resting quietly next to their mother. Why can't Briarkit be that sound of a sleeper? She looked back at Briarkit. His eyes were wide and scared. She sighed, turning onto her side.

"What're you afraid of?" She murmured quietly. He blinked.

"The loud sounds. The.. lightning?"

"Thunder. The sound is called thunder,"

"Yeah. The thunder. It's scary." He nuzzled close to her belly fur, and she looked down at him awkwardly. She didn't know what to do. Frostheart was asleep, and it was close to impossible to wake the ex-FogClan cat.

"Here, come on." Sparkfur stood up, leaning down and picking up the under-sized kit. Briarkit let out a startled mew, luckily not disturbing the sleep of his denmates. Looks like they inherited something other than white fur from their mother...

The rain pummeled down on Sparkfur the moment she stepped out of the den, and she kept her head low so that Briarkit didn't get wet. She moved quickly, making a bee-line straight for the bramble den. She poked her head in, her eyes moving across the sleeping bodies of huge cats. She carefully maneuvered around several cats till she reached the center of the huddle of cats. Her eyes moved past Berryfoot, who was sound asleep, to Waspclaw, who's eyes were half open.

The big dark striped tom blinked his copper eyes open all the way, looking up at Sparkfur, water dribbling off her fur onto him.

"I don't know what to do...," she whispered. He gave her a confused look, but as lightning lit up the den, followed by a rather loud crash of thunder, Briarkit let out a scared squeak, and Waspclaw stood up in understanding.

"Come on," he murmured. He led the way out of the den, straight for the medicine den. They bounded down the huge rock platform steps, careful not to slip on the rain that had managed to get inside the opening. The big open main den was mostly empty, only a single medicine cat remained at the herb storage at the back wall. Sparkfur recognized her as Fawnheart, a light brown she-cat who could never sleep through the nights. Waspclaw gave no notice to the spotted medicine cat, heading straight for one of the patient wings. They had been empty for the past moon, since all the cats had healed from the battle and the fresh New-Leaf winds had brought enough strength for them to fight green cough just as it had started to spread.

He settled down in a nest, Sparkfur setting Briarkit down next to the huge tom. The den was a little chilly, but it was dry and the sounds of thunder were dulled.

"You know the story of TigerClan and LionClan?" Waspclaw breathed. Briarkit shook his head. Waspclaw glanced over to Sparkfur, who smiled sheepishly. "TigerClan warriors are great big tabby cats, and LionClan are even bigger cats with pelts like the sun and thick fur around their necks. They're up in the sky, right now, battle training, you know?"

"Training to fight the rogues?" Briarkit's face brightened. Sparkfur's gazed darkened. Waspclaw brushed it off. I didn't think he was listening to Frostheart's stories about the rogues.