{sixteen}

She always got antsy when she was left to wait, and a restless Sparkfur was never very good. It was worse than ever too, the cold grass brushing against her paws and making her fluff up her fur in an attempt to keep warm as she waited anxiously. What would they say? 'I've missed you?', 'Look at all those scars!', Or even worse, 'I love you so much!' She hated being told 'I love you,' the words sounded like a terrible cliché, like claws scraping ice.

The sun was high thankfully just warm enough to have melted the mornings frost.

"You have to be back by sundown." The ginger tabby rushed out the words, hoping they reached Spark's ears.

They'd have to hurry; if they didn't hurry up there would be little to no time for chatting. Sparkfur breathed in excited as their scent reached her and she bounced to her paws.

"Sparkfur!" She heard a voice call, and then a blur of white crashing into her.

"Frostheart!" She purred. "Get off, or else I'll get your scent all over me!" She mewled gently, her voice high with excitement. A handsome dark ginger tabby stood off to the side with a smile: Berryfoot. Sparkfur gave a slight nod of a hello.

"Ugh, you reek of rouges!" Frostheart groaned.

"Hey, I thought you smelled worse than a skunk when I found you, but I didn't say anything!" Sparkfur growled playfully. Both Frostheart and Berryfoot laughed.

"Wow, Sparkfur! Look at all these scars! Do they not have proper medical treatment there?" Frostheart looked over her friend's pelt. "These could mostly have been prevented! Although, not that ear nick, that couldn't have been saved at all." She said grimly, touching her nose to the nick in Spark's right ear.

"It's nothing, now I at least will make some apprentices jealous." She grinned.

"Have you learned anything?"

"They've got a lot of cats. Oh, and the leader, he's insane. I haven't met him, but the rumors are that when he's not having some crazed breakdown, he's supposed to be a smart leader." She said casually, laying back. It felt just like old times: hanging out with Frostheart and Berryfoot.. Minus another cat, but she wasn't ready to let go of the happy mood.

"Have you seen Cypressfoot, Peachtail, or Pineclaw? They all haven't reported in, and some MarshClan cats said one of their planted moles was killed in training." Berryfoot mewed solemnly. The golden tabby nodded her head slightly, but Frostheart hadn't heard him because she had her good ear to Sparkfur rather than deputy.

"I heard about her, she went by Otter. I didn't know she was a clan cat.... Anyway, I have  spoken to Cypressfoot a lot. He goes by Rust now. He has access to his spot, he told me, but I don't know why he hasn't showed. He goes out on patrols and such, in fact I just spoke to him a few days ago. I myself am in a bit of a jam but--"

"Oh, really? Tell us about it! Can we help?" Frostheart's ears pricked.

"Probably not. I'm investigating the second campsite where the leader's den is. He stays there all the time, doesn't come down. I've never seen him. I'm kind of stuck there, though. They think I'm a queen, and I do have a kit I found."

"You? A mother?" Berryfoot flicked an ear with a laugh. Sparkfur glanced at him, her eyes narrowing challengingly, but she didn't have time to get in with him.