{twenty-nine}

Stormpaw purred, sun glimmering down on his dark gray fur. Sparkpaw was sitting off to the side, watching skeptically as the thick-furred tom told Berrypaw once again the story of Cherryflower.

      "She was the most beautiful she-cat I had ever seen-- dark fur with bright ginger tortoiseshell! Even over the next half-moon though, while she was sick, she was as vibrant as when I had first seen her!" Berrypaw sucked in every word like it was fresh water. Sparkpaw flicked an ear.

"Cherryflower died.. There's no need to dwell on the past."

Bitter winds buffeted Sparkfur's pelt, but she couldn't take her eyes off of the Lady. The golden warrior didn't know what to say.

Spruceclaw laughed lightly.

"I-I don't understand!" Sparkfur cried out finally. Waspclaw's eyes were dark with anger. "How could you have lived? You died!"

"Spruceclaw stop screwing around. I remember Cherryflower," he flicked his tail, "this is not her." Sparkfur stood up straighter, her pelt getting hot.

      "She's everything that Stormstrike described--" Sparkfur circled the top of the dip, tail flicking behind her.

      "Who is this Cherryflower you keep mentioning?" the Lady growled, standing up. She had short, strong legs and a compact body. Sparkfur sighed. Stormstrike had described a long legged thin she-cat.

      "She's looks so close to Cherryflower, though!" Spruceclaw reasoned. "Listen, Sparkfur, she's almost just like her! I've gotten you your mother!" The Lady narrowed her eyes.

      "But she's not my mother! What's wrong with you, Spruceclaw?!" Her wild fur was on end, feeling ready to cry, but not letting herself. I'm not a weak kit. I can handle myself.. Plus I don't want to give Waspclaw another reason to think I'm an abomination.

"Fine!" His eyes were narrowed now, fur on end. "You said it yourself, I'm not your dad. So I'm starting over-- a new DrizzleClan, a new Cherryflower, and new kits." Spruceclaw was circling, his pelt ruffling up with tension. The Lady's eyes were narrowed.

"Hey, I get a say in this!" The tortoiseshell snapped. Spruceclaw flicked his tail dismissively.

"You already did when you agreed to be my mate, Cherryflower." He hissed before turning his attention back to Sparkfur. "I have you another chance. Now you go run along and tell Mintstar what I've said. Tell him to leave our queens and kits that you stole, too. I'm not in the mood to get in a fight over that unless you refuse." Waspclaw took a paw step foreward, shoving Sparkfur behind him.

"No. As DrizzleClan deputy, I won't let you and your rogues take another paw step into our territory."

"Waspy, the border is all the way at the other end of the meadow. We're on my territory right now, so it's in my power to kill you."

"But that's against the warrior code!" Waspclaw growled, teeth baring.

Spruceclaw chuckled, his eyes looking the big deputy up and down.

"Oh, Waspclaw, you naïve little beech nut. I'm not a warrior.. I'm a rogue." Spruceclaw drew back into a fighting stance, a wicked smile on his square muzzle. The Lady was back to hiding in the small dip in the ground, and Sparkfur had drawn back to a low crouch just behind Waspclaw.