{twenty-six}

"And our kits will be protected while you're away in battle?" Grey mewed nervously, pulling her tail closer to her three kits, which were testing their ability to stand, their kit-blue eyes wide with amazement.

       "Of course. Cinderstep is a trained warrior after all." Frostheart assured from where she was nuzzling her kits in a goodbye. The dark gray queen was already in Frostheart's nest, feeding the three kits as well as her own tortoiseshell she-kit and gray tom kit. Berryfoot has his tail rested against his mate's flank, also looking over his kits proudly.

      Sparkfur glanced around impatiently. She didn't like going into battle too much-- probably because her first real battle was against Spruceclaw, who shredded her. Her wounds had healed without complications (Asterfoot had spoken about how StarClan must be real for that to have happened.) Frostheart had said that most of the wounds the golden tabby received from Spruceclaw would leave noticeable scars, though. Berryfoot said it was a sign of a real warrior. Scars don't make a warrior. Ryeheart didn't have any scars.

      "Ready to go?" Sparkfur blurted. Frostheart didn't look up, Sparkfur sighing, frustrated with herself for being on the wrong side of the half-deaf she-cat. Berryfoot gently touched his nose to the white she-cat's shoulder.

      "Why do you even have to leave your kits, Frostheart?" Grey asked, amber eyes glittering with curiosity. Sparkfur noticed Briarkit's paw twitch in his sleep.

      "Waspclaw convinced Mintstar that I should have to." She looked to her paws. She ran her tongue over Hazelkit's ears one last time before standing up. Sparkfur's pelt grew hot. She hadn't thought to ask Frostheart why she was even leaving her kits-- she just assumed the she-cat had wanted to defend her clan....

      "We should hurry. Waspclaw and Mintstar have probably finished briefing the MarshClan cats." Berryfoot murmured, his emerald eyes flashing as they looked over to his sister in the dim light.

      "You'll see them again soon," Sparkfur mewed to Frostheart as the golden tabby padded out of the cramped den to the chilly outside. The snow had formed an thin, hard frozen layer over the top, making it easy to walk over.

      It had only taken a day and a half for a cat to get to MarshClan territory and back with the MarshClan warriors. Sparkfur hadn't even gotten a chance to observe them, the second they stepped paw into camp, Berryfoot had pushed her into the rogue Queen den (the second Elder's den that hadn't been used in moons) to explain the situation. Mintstar had agreed to let them stay, as long as their kits were raised as DrizzleClan warriors. No cat had protested, after all, not even Waspclaw would leave a kit and its mother out in the cold to go back to the rogues.

      Sparkfur stepped into the camp, which was just a few fox lengths from her den, looking around. Warriors were everywhere, sharpening their claws and saying goodbye to their mates and kits. The only cats staying behind were young apprentices, queens, kits, and the badly injured warriors. They're all willing to go to battle for their Clan's future. She shifted, looking at the DrizzleClan warriors.

Lambflower, was whispering something to Waspclaw. The dusky ginger tom murmured something back with a glare, and she padded off with perfect white fur fluffed up, her ears drawn back angrily.

Honeylight was at the edge of the medicine den, begging Amberleaf to let her fight. The broad gray medicine cat growled something inaudible from where Sparkfur stood, probably something about how injured she is.

Cloudstream was laying by the Bramble Den, nursing deep wounds, speaking quietly to his mate and (presumably) his kits. That's Maplepaw, the apprentice who retrieved Mintstar. Cloudstream must not be able to fight.... But he still has to watch his family leave for battle. She stiffened. No cat seemed to fear the pain and possible death that was waiting for them.