{seven}

Sparkfur prodded the sleeping form of Frostleaf gently, the ex-medicine cat mumbling something along the lines of "go away...." and slowing her breathing again as she dived back into sleep. Sparkfur narrowed her eyes, annoyed, and prodded her again gently. Frostleaf opened her eyes slowly, breathing in the morning air.

"What time is it?" She mumbled, still with messy nest-fur and sleep clouding her mis-match eyes.

"Just after sunrise. You need to be ready, Mintstar is announcing his decision to the clan at sunhigh. So clean up, get a drink and something to eat." Because it might be your last meal in the clan... She almost added, but knew the young cat was too tender to face a horrible possibility. Frostleaf seemed nervous but nodded, beginning to groom her fur. "Do you think Berryfoot will be there?" She asked, a glint in her eye. Sparkfur shrugged.

"He doesn't talk to me." She saw Frostleaf pause in her grooming awkwardly as she blinked up at her mentor. "Wait... Does he..? Does he talk to you?" The white cat blushed and tried her paw at lying, murmuring a no and beginning to clean her fur again. Sparkfur breathed out shortly and turned on her paw, exiting the den. The two shared the den: a large stone that was hollowed out, a crack in its side facing away from passing cats, a fox length outside the camp walls.

She made her at straight to the camp. A good number of cats were out patrolling and whatnot, but it was easy to pick out Berryfoot with his flaming ginger fur. He was talking to Waspclaw and some other bramble den warriors. The golden warrior didn't pause, but padded right in between two cats: a white Tom with dark flecks and an angry looking Waspclaw.

"What is she doing here?" Waspclaw snarled. Berryfoot nervously looked over at Sparkfur, motioning for her to come talk to him away from the group of elite warriors. Sparkfur sniffed and cut through to the other side of toms, Cloudstream waving his tail in a friendly greeting/dismissal. "I thought he disowned her..." She heard Waspclaw growl as she padded after her brother. She dismissed the comment with a flick of her tail.

"Sparkfur, how can I help you?" He was calm and collected. Sparkfur blinked.

"How come you don't want to talk to me anymore?" She asked bluntly. She had no other way to put it. "You just cut me off back when we found Frostleaf... You haven't really spoken to me since."

"No, you didn't talk to me." He retorted, his voice raising a tad. She sighed, frustrated.

"Yes, I know, I'm sorry, whatever. I just..." She thought about Ryeheart. He was kind and he would handle this situation with an apology. "I was mad." She looked back up into his eyes, green reflecting green.

"It's my fault." He finally said, "it was the only way for me to become deputy. Nobody would want me as the next cat for the job, wether it was back then, or five moons from then. Nobody would want me as a deputy if I was still... Protecting you." He ducked his head guiltily, "but my job, my real job, the one that Cherryflower would want me to do... Is protect you." Sparkfur turned, she was never one for all the mushy cheese-ball stuff.

"Right. Don't worry though. You don't have to protect me. I've got Asterfoot and Frostleaf and Ryeheart. Don't ruin your reputation, StarClan forbid Waspclaw becomes leader after Mintstar. And I understand the clan doesn't like me. But stay deputy. That's the only way they won't throw me to the rogues." She laughed, beginning to pad off to the Cedar Den. Berryfoot nodded his head slightly in goodbye, moving back to his cluster of bramble den warriors that he had been speaking to.