3 : M Academy

"Are you sure you have everything you need?" Your mother asked for the hundredth time

"Yes, umma."

"Your vitamins?"

"Yes."

"Your national ID?"

"Yes."

"Your phone? It's the only way we can communicate."

"Yes, umma, I got it."

"Your underwear?"

"UMMA~!" You turned around to check if Doctor Jung heard it. He was the monster doctor who checked on you before.

"I was just kidding," your mother laughed. "But who knows, you're very forgetful."

"That's an exaggeration! Aish!" You answered, annoyed.

"Aigoo. Stop being grumpy now. Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off?"

"No, it's okay. It's very far anyway. I'll be fine. And Doctor Jung is with me. Besides...."

If you come with me, I'll only want to back out and return home with you, you thought but you didn't say it out loud.

It was a warm Saturday morning. It has been more than a week since your 'monster' incident happened. Your most dreaded day finally came. You're finally kissing your normal high school life goodbye. Today, you're going to your new school, Monster Academy.

Doctor Jung came around lunch time to pick you up. According to what he told you and your mother before, the school was located on a mountainous area in the outskirts of Seoul, 'to minimize the risk of human intrusion,' he said. Since the school is far from any town, students are required to stay in and are allowed only a once a month weekend trip to the city. Staying in is also part of the training. In order to not arouse suspicion from humans, the school had an alternative name, M Academy. What outsiders know about M Academy is that it is a prestigious school only for a few well-selected students who either have high intellectual abilities or who belong to the richest families in the country. You laughed to yourself when you realized you belong to neither category.

No wonder Hye Bin refused to believe me.

You have told her about it over the phone a few days ago. She just laughed and thought you were joking. You didn't pursue the topic since you also can't give her a convincing reason how you got accepted at such a school.

"Is that the last one?" Doctor Jung asked, as you handed the last of your luggage to the driver who placed it at the trunk of the school van.

"Yes," you answered as you stepped out of the house.

The driver reached for Totoro, which you were carrying in your arms.

"Oh, it's okay. He goes with me," you told him.