33: Dead End

"What?! You asked in shock

"What?! You asked in shock. Nobody answered. Everyone was just staring at you, at the ground or at each other. "Why? That can't be."

"The decision was made through voting," Suho said glumly. "Coach Yunho and I tried to defend them but..."

"But they didn't believe us," you finished for him. "But isn't it a little too early for them to decide on this? Isn't there supposed to be some kind of long process for things like this?"

"There were some who were still neutral and wanted to postpone the verdict until we get more information on what happened but...most of them are already difficult to convince, and it was a majority decision so there was nothing much we can do about it."

"But this is...this isn't right!" You said helplessly as you looked at the equally helpless faces of your friends.

"Joo Ri's right, hyung. This is unfair. Even before our side could give our explanations their minds were already set on not believing in anything we say," Chen said.

"Damn them. Why did they even arrange for all these hearings?" Baekhyun huffed in frustration.

"It seems like all these are just for formalities," Lu Han said.

"And my testimony just made things worse. If I had known...I'm so stupid," you said in frustration as you pressed your palm on your forehead.

"Guys let's just not jump into conlcustions yet," Suho said.

"And don't be too hard onyourself Joo Ri-ya. We all know that Kai and Chanyeol-hyung's reputation with the teachers is not that good to start with. Not to mention the the bad history the soccer team had with Lee Hee Jun's group," Sehun comforted you.

"What do you mean?" You asked.

"Well this isn't the first time the soccer team had a clash with his group," Baekhyun told you.

"Jinjja? Why didn't I know about this?" Lu Han asked.

"It was a few weeks before you transferred," Sehun told him. "It was during the tryouts last year, wasn't it hyung?" He asked Suho.

"Ne," Suho answered.

"What happened?" You asked them.

"It was the last tryout of the year. And the club was still pretty new back then, just on its second year. A lot of students tried out that day, you know, with the excitement of a new club and soccer being a popular sport and all. And not to mention the sunbaes in the club are some of the most popular bunch here. And since the club was just starting out, the school didn't want to invest in too many members yet so the slots were limited," Chen explained.

"Aaah...it was a tough competition," Baekhyun reminisced.

"Now Baekhyun here," Chen continued, "was paired against Lee Hee Jun. The tryouts went this way, it's a one-man team match. Two players will play against each other until one of them scores a goal - no teammates, no goalies, just them. It's the kind of game where it doesn't really matter whether you win or not since Coach Yunho and the sunbaes were looking more on how you play, so it wasn't really an elimination match. But it might as well have been. If the game was good and you won, you''ll definitely get noticed and get a better chance at being a main player rather than a sub."