Chapter 9 - I'm Not Your Girlfriend

Getting close to Vic Fuentes on this tour was something I had not intended. It was becoming apparent that it was too late to change any of that now, especially since it was apparent that I had feelings for him. I had no idea if he returned the feelings, and if he didn’t I wouldn’t exactly doubt him. I was messed up, clingy, hard to handle, and not to mention a lot younger. Even though I had all of that in my belt, he didn’t seem to mind. 

“So,” Tori asked me while at our usual post at the merch booth. “what the hell is going on with you and Vic?”

“Nothing!” I defended myself.

“You’re a bad liar Skye. Ever since you came back, you both have been spending a lot more time together and I even think I saw him kiss you on the cheek yesterday.”

I sighed in defeat, raising my hands to try and give her some peace of mind. 

“Okay, I have no idea what is going on with Vic and me. Seriously!”

She rolled her eyes, “Yea right, sure you don’t.”

“Did I hear my name?” Speak of the fucking devil.

“I was just asking Skye about how your guy’s relationship is going, since you both seem so lovey-dovey all of a sudden,” she responded.

My face flushed a bright shade of red, waiting for Vic to say something, anything to resolve this. Instead he just laughed, walking up and giving me a hug and kissing the side of my head and walking away. Smart Vic, wonderful. What an excellent idea, make everyone within a 50 foot radius with an internet connection think we’re dating. I swear if I wasn’t so embarrassed, I would have murdered both Tori and Vic.

“Stop laughing!” I shouted at her, as she was doubled over practically in tears from laughter. I noticed how many sets of eyes were on me, after what Vic had just done. I let out a groan of frustration as I ran off from my post in search of Vic. I wanted to get a straight answer out of him. Was he doing all of this to fuck with my head? Even fucking Tori could figure out something was up. 

After about 20 minutes of searching, I finally found him talking to Alex Gaskarth of all people. I didn’t care, I needed to confront him. 

“Vic!” I yelled, determination in my voice as I ran up to him. He turned to face me, leaving whatever he was saying to Alex, half spoken.

“Yes?” he asked, he was obviously confused. 

“I’m sorry, but can we please talk. Now,” I said bluntly, trying to catch my breath as I emphasized the word now. 

“Trying to steal Vic away from me, huh?” Alex retorted, patting me on the back.

“Just for a few minutes! I’ll give him right back. I just need to clear something up. In private,” I glared at Vic, but then turned my face towards Alex and smiled somewhat sheepishly.

“We were practically finished what we were discussing,” Alex replied, “I’ll just text you later, Vic. See ya!” He walked away.

“What’s so urgent?” he asked, concern dripping from his words.

“Not here, let’s walk and talk.” 

We walked, in silence for a while til we reached a spot off away from the venue.

“Is here alright?” he asked.

I nodded. He crossed his arms, waiting for me to begin.

“Why did you kiss me earlier in front of Tori and everyone else who saw within a 50 foot radius. Um, Vic there is a thing as the internet ya know and this is going to go around as I’m your new girlfriend or something and I don’t want that to happen if it’s not the truth!”

“I’m sorry,” he replied, guilt riddled in the simple statement. It made me feel bad too, seeing as he didn’t mean any harm in his actions.

“No, no. I’m the one who should be apologizing,” I replied. I inched toward him, somewhat slowly. I outstretched my arms and hugged him. He was stunned by this at first, but then mimicked my actions and placed his arms around me.

“I just didn’t think you’d mind is all,” he explained, barely audible.

“It’s not even that I don’t mind; I’m just so confused Vic. I don’t understand your thought process as to why you’ve been acting the way you have around me. I’m nothing special and you could probably do a hell of a lot better than flirting with someone who doesn’t even know the first thing when it comes to relationships.”

“You’re wrong about some of that. You are something special. There’s just…something about you that just draws me to you Skye, I can’t even explain it even if I wanted to.”

I sighed deeply admitting defeat. I didn’t want to give in and fall for him. I didn’t want to in the slightest, but he made it so damn hard. It’s like, how on earth could you say no to that face? 

“Um, excuse me?” I felt a tap on my shoulder and I backed away from Vic. I was confused to see a girl, a bit younger than me standing holding a few shirts and eyeing Vic as if she were ready to pounce.

“Yes?” Vic asked her, smiling. 

“C-could I get a picture?” she asked him. I still found it hard to believe that not too long ago, I would have been in that position.

“Of course!” he smiled, “Skye, could you take it?”

I nodded, and the girl stood next to Vic smiling and I snapped a picture with her phone and handed back to her.

“Thanks, you guys are the best! I can’t wait to tell my friends I got to meet Vic and his girlfriend!” she said, and just as I was about to correct her, Vic stuck a hand over my mouth. I removed his hand with a bit of struggling.

“I’m not his girlfriend!” I said, trying to reassure her.

“When I walked up here, the way you guys were hugging said otherwise,” she laughed and went on her way.

I looked angrily at Vic, “Maybe I should have stayed home.”

He was taken aback at what I said. Maybe I was being a little too harsh. You can’t exactly blame me for being very skeptical about the situation though.

“Skye, I-”

“No Vic, I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have said that. I’m just a bitch, but you already knew that. I’m not one for relationships, I’ve never been in one because I can’t trust anyone enough to be in one. It’s not that I don’t trust you, I do. I’m just horrible at letting my defensive side get the best of me. I just can’t let the past completely go y’know? I don’t mean to be this way, but I can’t help it. You’ve been confusing the hell out of me and I don’t know what to do! You could completely heal me Vic you really, really could, but you also have the power to break me down into nothing again and I’m not sure if I’m ready yet to find out just how strong I am.”

He wrapped his arms around me, tightly, “Skye, I would never do anything to hurt you and I assumed you knew that. I’m sorry that I’ve been acting differently around you lately, but it’s because I think I’m falling for you hard and fast. You looked so alone when I first met you, and I just wanted to change that so much. Everything you told us made my heart ache and I wanted to erase all that pain you went through. Skye, I’m not telling you to be my girlfriend or even asking because I know you aren’t ready for that, but promise me you won’t let someone come around and steal you away?”

I was in tears by that point. I just clung to his small frame in hopes that nothing would ever change that moment, but of course Vic’s phone started ringing. He backed away from me, answering.

“Hey bro…oh shit really? I’ll be right there!” he hung up the phone. 

“I gotta go Skye! I’m sorry, we’ll finish talking about this tonight,” he said and quickly kissed me on the lips before taking off running off back towards the venue. I was stood there, shocked pressing my fingers to my lips in disbelief as I walked back to the venue alone.