Chapter 5.5; One shot

Every day I woke up, I had an overwhelming sense of gratefulness for what I had in my life. Sure I didn't have my mother but I had all the memories that we made together.

Will making the hideout created a warmness that I hadn't felt in my heart for years. I had always been slightly bitter about love but he just seemed to fill a vast void that no one else was able to and for that, I was grateful.

*

It was 2 o'clock in the morning. My birthday had just ended and Will was lying beside me. I was finally 18, yet I didn't feel any different. I turned to face Will. This was the first time I had seen him looking so vulnerable and that made me realise how much trust we had in our relationship. I couldn't help but think how devastated I was going to be when I left my other half behind to return home. I wish Will could just come back. That's when I realised, I need to make the most of this time. I buried my head into Will's chest and fell soundly asleep.

I woke in the morning, my bed empty and I felt an uneasiness in my stomach. Immediately, I reached for my phone at the side of my bed and phoned Will. It went straight to answer machine. Then it clicked. Without hesitation, I wrapped my dressing gown around me, slipped on shoes and ran for my gran's car. My gran put down the jug of orange juice she was holding and ran after me, not very fast, but she did try.

"Where you going, I'll drive you!" she shouted with her old, shaken voice.

I hopped in the passenger's seat and she began driving.

"Right, where am I going?" she asked.

"Straight down here, take a left, take a right and then you are there. Don't worry, it's not an emergency, I just need to check on Will."

"I thought he stayed last night after your 18th?" her soft voice inquired.

"He did but he disappeared this morning. I think I know where he has gone," I smiled.

My gran pulled up just outside the woodland.

"This is a slightly peculiar place to disappear to. Did he murder someone?" she asked, laughing.

"No, it's the hideout gran!" I smiled and quickly shut the door, running in pajamas, straight for the woods.

*

I ran through the dirt, passing bushes and branches until I seen the small wooden hut lit up with fairy lights. He was there.

I walked up the stairs and opened the creaking door slightly to find Will lying sound asleep on the ground, a small picture clasped tight in his hand.

I pulled the picture out of his hands to see a young boy that looked almost identical to Will. I looked down from the picture to see Will staring up at me.

"What's this?" I asked.

"My dad," he replied.

"What's going on, why did you leave?"

"I got a phone call."

"Saying what?"

He turned on the pillows to face the wall.

"Will, talk to me?" I begged.

"My dad has stage 4 lung cancer."

Just at that, both hands covered my face.

I fell down to the ground and wrapped my arms around him. His body was shaking and I had a feeling that it wasn't from the cold. No words were exchanged and neither of us moved from that position for at least an hour.

"I'm with you. I'll always be with you. We'll get you through this," I whispered as he broke down hysterically.

If I could just lie there and hold him until the pain went away then I would. I'd hold him for eternity. I had been through a similar situation and I knew how to be his rock, the one he could depend on and I was willing to do that. I just wanted his pain to disappear.

"It was Christmas Eve, we barely had any money. My dad worked a double shift and a night shift just to get me a camera. He told me to capture beautiful moments and treasure them because they only come around once. He did that for me. We only get one shot at this life, Vanessa. One shot. Why does his have to end now?" he cried.

Will turned round to me and cried into my shoulder. I couldn't cry. I needed to be strong for him. I needed to take care of him.

"Life is cruel. It takes people from us so we learn to be strong without them. So that we learn to be strong for other people. It teaches us forgiveness and the ability to appreciate things whilst we still have them. Cherish these moments with your dad. Invest every single moment you have with him. I wish I had done the same with my mum and that's my biggest regret. Learn from my mistakes. Take my advice. I love you," I could feel the tears forming in my eyes that I wish didn't exist.

"I love you."