Chapter 3.5; Oakway Lake

Since Sarah had left, Will had only been around a couple of times, just to check up on dad and I.  Him and dad had this great bond, even when Will was with Sarah.  

Dad was still terribly hurt and affected by Sarah's lies and cheating but I guess he was also kind of hurt since she ran off.  So now it was just Dad and I and maybe that's just the way I liked it being, as bad as that sounds.  Sarah always knew how to ruin things as she was an extremely jealous child and because she was the eldest, she used to call me names like "spoilt brat" and I was a 'mistake' when I was born.  But she couldn't now, she was gone.  Gone.  

"Vanessa, it's the phone!" dad called up to me.  

I ran down the stairs, two steps at a time and straight into the living room to grab the phone off of dad. 

"Hello?" I said, running out of breath.  

"Hey,Vanessa. It's Will, urm...I wanted to know if you would like to come out a walk or something?" Will spoke.  

Oh how the sound of his voice made me tremble.  Even when he said my name, I knew that it would be safe in his mouth. 

"Of course, I mean, yes," I tried not to sound too enthusiastic.  

"Great," and with that, Will and I's phone conversation had ended. 

Dad was standing at the other end of the living room with a great smile on his face and I couldn't understand why.  I mean, it should be me with the massive smile but I wasn't going to embarrass myself.  

Today was rather chilly but the sun was still shining and I decided that I was going to wear my shorts, wooly tights, ugg boots, jumper and beanie.  I was totally different from Sarah, not just her looks but her style, music taste, food taste and definitely most things about her personality.  

Will and I met up just a mile away from my house by a lake side.  It was called Oakway Lake.  It was one of the most beautiful lakes I had ever seen. Since it was coming into Autumn, the brown,yellow and orange crisp leaves fell perfectly all around the lake that was surrounded by a small cluster of oak trees.  It was truly beautiful. 

"So why did you ask me to come a walk?" I asked, strolling behind Will by the lake side.  

"Well," he started, taking a seat on the cold and crisp grass. 

"Well?" 

"You're dad said you were upset about Sarah leaving and that it'd be great if I could clear your head," Will gave a vague sort of half-smile.  

I could honestly kill that man sometimes! Sneaky! 

"Did he now?" I asked, as Will and I broke into laughter. 

I loved how he could do that.  Turn anything into laughter, he was great at it.  There was also that little sparkle in his eyes when he laughed, like the kind that could make you melt with just one glance.  

"Vanessa, this isn't fair," he stopped his laughter and stared at the ground.  

My heart rate speeded up and the long,rivetting feeling of butterflies, bashing against my stomach walls were no more, they had died, turning violently into a mush of nothing but trembling sickness.  I could just make out the hurt in his eyes as he lifted his head to look at me.  

"What isn't fair?" I said, frowning.  

"The fact that we can't be together, I know, It's stupid," he got up from the bench and turned away, not looking back.  

I sat there, completely speechless.  He wanted to be with me.  He really wanted to be with me.  But why couldn't we ? 

"Wait! Will!" I yelled, taking off from the bench.  

He was too far away along the side of the lake but that didn't stop me from quickening my pace to catch up with him. He was embarrassed but he didn't know that I liked him too.  Well, loved, him.  The ground was slippery from the dew on the grass and I could see fine sheets of ice on the footpath so I decided it would be best to stick to the side of the lake.  

Oh how I regret that decision.  

As I quickened up to catch him, my silly ugg boots lost all control and grip and all I remember was the sudden pause of my heart as I slipped down the grassy edge of the lake and SPLASH, right into it. 

Will's head turned to me sharply. 

"Vanessa! I'm coming!" He yelled, racing towards me.   

The coldness of the lake was unbearable.  I could actually feel it nipping me as I slowly sunk further in.  I wasn't a good swimmer, I didn't even know how to swim.  The stinging feeling of the cold slowly faded and turned to numbness.  I struggled for breath.  How could a lake be so deep and... cold?! I don't know which took my breath away most, the sharp coldness of the lake or the water slowly pulling me under.  

For a split second, I thought this was the end of me but hearing Will's voice shouting my name as he approached me was definitely worth fighting for my life and some how, I knew this wasn't the end.  But it was the cold... It was the coldness that made me panic and me and panicing don't usually end up well.  I felt like the water was closing in on me.  I bobbed my head up occasionally, trying to find Will's presence but I lost all hope.  I had given up.  I thought Will had maybe given up on me too.  It got darker though, really dark.  My mind was drifting.  My life was no longer worth fighting for.  After all, this is how my mother took her own life.  Maybe it was time for me to be with her.  

"Vanessa! Listen to me!" Will called as I slowly opened my eyes. 

I coughed.  Really hard.  All I seen was Will's gorgeous face, staring right at me, searching for some life in me.   I leaped up in a panic, what the hell had happened?! 

"Shhh, it's okay, I've got you," Will stroked my brown rat tail-like hair as it was soaken wet.  

"I'm so scared," I cried, burrying my head into Will's chest.  

"I've got you."  

It was those words that felt so safe in his mouth.  It was those words that I trusted so much and just with those words, those three small words, that one small sentence, I knew I wanted him and I wanted him badly.  I wanted to be with him.  I wanted to spend everyday with him.  I wanted to be able to call him 'mine' and I wanted him to be able to call me 'his' and I knew it all then.  It was just those words that sunk into my head like I sunk into that lake, that's when it all hit me. I needed to tell him.  

"I love you," I whispered, looking up to him, in hope that he'd understand.  

"Vanessa, it looks like you are still a little disillusianal right now," he giggled.  

"I'm not disillusianal, I'm pretty sane right now, scared, but still sane and I know I love you," I said, getting up from his embrace with his warm coat around me.  

"You hated me like a few months ago?" he said, also getting up.  

"No, I just didn't want to make it obvious that I was hopelessly in love with my sister's boyfriend, you idiot!" 

"Well, I'm not your sister's boyfriend." 

"And you're not mine either, so it's a lose lose situation," I sighed, walking away, not caring that I still had his coat.

"You nearly drowned and I don't even get a thank you for being your sexy hero?" he spoke in a rather sexual tone.  

"Your ego is no concern of mine but thanks for saving me but what did you mean when you said we can't be together?" I turned to him.  

"I'm your sister's ex -boyfriend." 

" Yeah? Well it doesn't matter because it's not like you feel the same way back or anything, is it?" I asked, nervous for an answer and still shivering in the cold. 

"Well..." 

"Well, tell me?"