Chapter 6.5; Savage Sister

When Will said yes, I swear the whole word froze for a second. 

"It's the ring I got Sarah for our 1 year anniversary," his expression unreadable. 

                                                                                                      * 

This is the last thing we needed. Sarah had come back... and with a vengeance. I had always known that my sister was bitter, but not this bitter. 

I watched as the once soft, warm eyes of Will turned fiercely cold and angry.  He began pacing up and down the room, his fists clenched in rage. 

"It was Sarah who done this," he spoke through gritted teeth. 

I rose from the sofa to calm Will down but was interrupted by a question. 

"Where are we likely to find Sarah?" 

"Officer, Sarah is my older sister. I've not seen her for a long time and I would have no idea where she would be." 

"Well you need to find her !" Will said in rage. 

I pulled him close to me, running my hands through his hair to relax him. 

"Well, we better waste no time. We will search for Sarah. Thank you for your time Will and Vanessa." The police officers gave a sympathetic smile and began to head for the door. 

"Oh and Will, everyone will be informed that this was not your responsibility at all. Don't get yourself worked up," the policeman pursed his lips and with that, he left. 

                                                                                                              * 

There was something rather daunting about finding out your sister being capable of causing so much destruction. 

At dinner with my family, we discussed the whole situation. I could see my grandmother's eyes filling up with tears and that struck a part of me that I did not want to feel.

"It's extremely hurtful to watch the little girl who was playing in the park with her friends become someone who I don't even recognise. I always thought better of that girl. It's an unthinkable tragedy," my grandmother uttered softly. 

Through the course of dinner, my dad sat with his heads in his hands, avoiding any conversation with anyone.  Will had noticed my expressionless face and rubbed my hand under the table, comfortingly. 

"She never treated Will like a boyfriend, more like a slave. More like someone who could wine and dine her and run after her, but at the end of the day, sought attention off of other guys and most importantly, the guy she is with right now. What is making her so mad?" I thumped my hands on the table. 

"You are everything she isn't, Vanessa. You have everything that she wants. It has always been like that," my grandmother reached over the table for my hand. 

"Why? She was always the one with a nicer smile, nicer body, loads of guys, loads of friends and everything that I didn't have." 

"But she couldn't wash a dish, play piano, write a story or look after anybody but herself. She didn't know what it was like to be kind, selfless or open-minded. Yet you possessed all of those amazing qualities that gained you Will. And for that, dear, she will forever resent you. It's a matter of envy of the quintessential nature that you possess."