Chapter 4.5; Love Will Always Find A Way

I didn't see Will. He was never around and people at school never mentioned his name. He was nothing but a faded memory to most people but everyday was the same for me. He was always on my mind. Where he was? What he was doing? How he was doing? And most importantly, if I was ever going to see him again.

I was hurt,confused and upset. I loved him and when I finally built up the courage to tell him how I felt, he fled. People always leave. I had pretty much gotten used to that. The people you build the most trust in, the ones you love most, they leave. I had lost trust for many years in people. I just thought Will would be the guy who'd walk into my life and never leave but then he was actually the guy who proved to me why I didn't trust people in the first place.

"Vanessa, you need to come out of that room sometime," dad spoke against my oak door.

"I do come out!" I yelled.

"And not just to go to the toilet or school," he sighed.

I felt bad. I felt like I was letting dad down. The only guy who'd actually supported me in my life but I didn't want to talk to him about it. I didn't want to talk to anyone about it. Although, I knew that dad knew. He wasn't stupid. Fifteen years in the army, he definitely wasn't stupid. He had even asked me why Will never came around anymore and I had to lie and say he was just busy . It would be far too humiliating to say that I was the reason for him fleeing the town. But he knew why I was upset.

"Let me in," he said, trying to force the door open.

I lay there on my soft bed, staring at the door, contemplating whither to let him in or not. The guilt got the better of me. I leaped from my bed and unlocked the door. There my dad stood, with sad eyes and a disheartened expression painted on his face. His crystal blue eyes twinkled in the light and that made me feel slightly more guilty than I already had and for that reason, I opened my door wide and let him sit on my bed.

"Tell me what's up. Is it because Sarah left?" He asked, making himself comfortable.

"I miss her,dad. But no, that's not the main reason," I sighed, laying next to him.

"It's Will," He quickly turned to me.

"Of course it's Will, dad. It's always been Will. The reason for every single emotion I feel. I've liked him for a long time and I had been carrying so much guilt because of that . Liked him? What am I talking about? I love him. I-I can't express what I feel for him. I want him so bad and then I finally told him I loved him and he left. He told me he loved me too but then he LEFT!" I cried, struggling to breathe.

"I knew you loved that boy but guess what? I also knew he loved you too. He wasn't interested in Sarah. I seen the way his face would light up anytime he layed eyes on you, it was love. And I know that because at one time that was me. I used to look at your mother like that. She had the most beautiful golden hair and eyes that you'd die for. Will loves you Vanessa and love always finds a way," and with that, dad stood up, gave a brisk wink and then left.

My dad's speech left some sort of feeling of hope inside of me. Hope that maybe one day, Will would return and we'd be happy together. However amazing that feeling was, there was also a feeling that maybe I was being too hopeful and that maybe it was time to move on and accept that Will isn't the one for me. He had been gone for so long now and my deep dark feelings thought that maybe he had left to find Sarah and what he said by the lake was nothing but bullshit.

                                                                         *** 

My dad came up to my room with a wide grin on his face.  

"We are going to California for the summer!" Dad said, pulling me into a hug. 

California was the place me and my dad always wanted to go.  My grandparents both lived there in a gorgeous beach bungalow in which they bought at their retirement. We never had a chance to visit them because we were constantly short of money and although Sarah had the opportunity to work, refused to.