Chapter 8.5; Finale

Weeks past with Will and I, together at each other's side. Although nothing vast changed between us, we grew a greater bond as a result of our many struggles.

"There's no one else I'd rather have gone through this with," he smiled at me as we bathed in the light of the stars.  

Sarah and her boyfriend tried too hard to play Bonnie and Clyde and found themselves in a correctional facility not too far from my grandmother's house.  

"Your dad's pretty upset about Sarah, huh?" Will asked with a sorrow expression. 

" We all are, I guess. I suppose he just expected more from her than I ever did." 

Although Sarah was most definitely alive, I had most definitely lost her. That's two women in my life that I had lost; but my mum never hurt me.

                                                                                     * 

Daylight broke through the silk curtains of my bedroom in my grandparents' house.

The realisation of going back home and facing reality was a thought I'd rather forget. 

"Vanessa, get your bags packed!" my dad yelled. 

This was a day that I definitely wanted to prolong. 

Letting Will go would be the hardest thing. He had made a living here now and he was doing so well and I refused to let my selfishness be the catalyst for Will's unhappiness. 

"Morning gorgeous," Will peaked his head through my door with a wide grin. 

"You look way too happy for a guy whose girlfriend's leaving today," I narrowed my eyes. 

He said nothing but continued to wear his mischievous smile; and god, did he wear it well. 

I stretched out flat on my bed before gathering my belongings. 

"Are you excited to return home?" he asked with an unusual ring of cheeriness to his voice. 

"Will, you know fine well how I feel about going home," my tone was filled with a potent angst as I filled my bags with the memories that clung to my clothes. 

"Why do you sound so upset?" he asked cluelessly. 

The irritation brewed in me and without hesitation I blurted out the feelings that seemed so obvious. 

"Why do you sound so happy? I'm leaving everyone I love behind in one place besides my dad." 

Will began to laugh. 

"Are you seriously laughing right now?" 

From his pocket, he drew a plane ticket and winked at me. 

"Let's go home, baby!"