Chapter 7

Lex’s POV

The whole ride to the compound Golem stayed a hair behind Bella. 

“See that wall up ahead.  That is the wall surrounding your new home, and my family’s compound.”

Golem picked up speed and barreled past Bella.  She picked up speed after he zoomed past her.  Golem got through the gate a tail and a half in front of Bella.  Lex dismounted and Golem pranced around the court yard.  After Xan dismounted Golem came up to him begging for his apples.

“Here is your first one... whoa watch the fingers.” 

Golem gobbled the first apple and nosed for his second.  Xan gave it to him and Golem face Bella with the apple out.  They stared at each other for a bit them Bella took the apple and ate it.

Hidden between the horses Lex kissed Xan.  She trailed her fingers under his shirt along his scar.  It starts at the front of his pelvis and runs around his left side too his spine.

“Bella Boo I see you.”  A high pitched voice yells, causing both Lex, and Xan to jump.

Lex retrieves her hand from under Xan’s shirt and assumes the proper bowed demeanour of a black robe healer.

A highly energetic girl, with long flowing white hair, runs across the court yard and throws her long sleeved arms around Xan neck.  “Xan I missed you.  What took you so long to get home?  Where did this mahogany Goliath come from?  Did you bring me something?  Have you told Mom your home yet?  You missed dinner but food can be sent up for you....Who is that?”  She stopped and pointed at Lex.

“Is the Violet room beside mine still empty?” Xan asks.

“Yes.  Why?  And who is that?”  She is still rudely pointing at Lex.

“I am sponsoring Lex.  So Lex will be staying in the Violet room until the presentation to the head of the family, as per custom.  The head will decide where Lex goes after that.  Until them Lex stays in the room closest to mine, as per custom.  That is the rules.  You should know this by now, Raven.”

Raven takes a deep breath and starts again.  “Who are they?  Why did you bring them?  Why do you always follow the rules?  Why are you always such an ice prince?  Tell me!!”

“Raven!  You are only 6 years my junior, which still makes you an adult, act like it.  If you continue like this I will assign you the job of brushing Shadow for one week.”

“But Xan, that is harsh even from you.”  Raven whined.

“Okay Raven, one week Shadow and one week Bella Boo, as you so fondly call her.  Bella also needs her hoofs cleaned and trimmed.  You will be responsible to help with that too.”

“But...Fine Xan.  You are a big fat meanie.”  Raven sticks her tongue out, flips her hair, and storms off.

Lex’s head is bowed and her shoulders shake with suppressed laughter.

“Come on Lex.”  Xan heads towards the house.  “Jeremy.”  A boy that is running from what looks like a barn stops.  “Get someone to help you bring everything up to my room.  I will sort it.”  The boy nods and runs off in another direction.  Xan has Lex follow him into a large kitchen.  The kitchen is a mirror image of the main kitchen at her family’s compound. 

Xan walks over to a board on the wall and writes on it.  “Food should be brought up to your room until you are presented to the Head of the Family.  Until then you have to stay in the hallway that your room is in.  Do you have any questions?”

Lex shakes her head no. What is up with Xan?  He is not acting like himself.

Xan pulls out a chair at the prep table.  He signals Lex to sit down.  He then leaves the kitchen for a minute and comes back with two plates of food.  He places one of the plates in front of Lex.  “Eat.”

After their meal Xan places the plate into one of the sinks.  “Come on now.”

Xan leads Lex up stairs, down stairs, across hallways, and around many corners.  Lex is very tired and follows without watching where she is going.  Xan eventually stops in front of a violet coloured door.

“This is your room.  I will bring your stuff by soon.”  Xan opens the door for her and she explorers the room. 

There was a table with two chairs in a corner.  A four poster canopy bed with curtains dominated the centre of the room.  In a corner the was a slight outcropping with a single door, on the opposite wall there was a set of double doors that led to a walk-in closet, the curtains when pulled back showed a  large window, and a single frosted glass door led to a working bathroom.

Lex got distracted once she saw the bathroom. My mother had one of these.  I wonder if the hot water works out of the tap here too.

Lex had a long hot shower.  She relished the feeling of being clean, for a change.  In her room she found her things on the floor of the closet with the closet doors hanging open.  On the table was a note pad:

I saw what looked like a Thornberry seed pod in your pack, but it is too big. Raven will take you to see the Thornberry on the grounds mid-day tomorrow.  She will bring you back to your room for dinner.  If you have need of anything please write her a note using the notepad.  If you place it on your door someone will bring it to you soon.  I had an errand to run, so I took Golem.

Xan

 What does that mean? Lex flopped down onto the bed and jumped back up because the material hurt her skin.  She grabbed out her large sheet out of her pack, wrapped it around herself and cried herself to sleep.