Grieving

Chapter 3

This morning when I woke up, I could only think of one thing. Of the day Violet told me that David's funeral would be a month from then. I cannot forget that moment because I thought a month was enough to have me ready, but it really wasn't. I am not even the daughter of the deceased and I had difficulty rolling out of bed this morning.

No matter how much I dread the day, I need to be there for everyone else. There's a fine line between being so joyful it's insulting and being as sad as the person you're trying to cheer up which makes them worse. Last year, I have practiced being on the right side of this line many times.

I slide open the door to my closet and laugh at the irony. Even though I have a side filled with summer shirts with different colorful prints, I have a complete other side with darker colours which includes a lot of black. It's the side I go looking for outifts the most unfortunately. And for the first time I'm sad to be wearing black today. I take out the most appropriate black dress I have for the event and time of year.

It's a knee lenght dress with sleeves going down to the forearm. As simple as that. I slide on my black heels and brush back my curls I left to rest during the night.

I walk downstairs avoiding eyes and trying not to make any sound. To my surprise, there isn't a person on the first floor. No eyes to avoid. They might be downstairs.

I pass by the stairs that lead to the lower floor we have that isn't the basement exactly and I hear the TV. I lean in and see everyone watching the news.

"What's going on?" I ask walking down the steps.

"Come here, Sam," Ben calls out.

I sit by him, the only empty space left on the couch facing the TV.

"... police are now up to 7 kidnapping cases leaving the same trail. Females of visable minorities or physical and social inferiority. Olivia Garner is disabled, Veronica Palsy is only 8 years old, Ella Carson is African-American, Lolita Pataki is 76 and all three other women are from a latin heritage. The abducter has not only an M. O. , but a continuous trail left behind that police will not reveal in detail to the public. All that has been said has come from Captain McCormick."

The shot moves to a video of the captain speaking in front of a crowd of press.

"The abducter has been leaving messages for someone we have not yet identified. That is all we know about the messages and all we can say about the kidnapper's trail. Thank you."

An uneasy and uncomfortable feeling takes me over. I wonder if the kidnapper is Rodrigo or one if his men. I wonder if I'll be next. I look over to everyone else in the room. Nathan and Vi are side by side on the ground staring at it. Ben looks at the couch's arm rest. My parents look at each other and, like always, you can tell that a whole conversation is going on between them. Rosa stares at her kids sitting under her seat on the couch and then looks over me to Ben. My sister stays completely silent.

"Come on guys," my dad says. "We'll be late."

Everyone simultaneously gets up and heads upstairs. I run over to my bag sitting beside the door when I hear a vibrating sound. And as I thought, it is my phone ringing. Aaron's name flashes on the screen.

"Hey."

"Hey, I'm outside."

"Okay, we'll be out."

"Guys," I yell in the house after I hang up. "Aaron's here."

The woman grab their bags and the men grab their phones and wallets.