Waiting

Chapter 12

A glimpse into Nathan's miserable yet loving mind

I extend my hand for her to take. She takes it reluctantly and stands up. She wipes the soil off her dress and looks at me with anger in her eyes.

"Where the hell have you been? I've been calling and texting you non-stop without an answer."

"I was on the lookout. I thought you had everything under control just like that great show you put on in there."

She's out of breath and it looks like my words aren't helping her calm down.

"My feet hurt, I'm tired and I can't think straight when I can't see your face because of the darkness. Let's just go to the hotel."

She leads the way. I follow because I don't have anywhere else to go. Once we get to the open road, she takes off her heels and starts jogging on the sidewalk on the bridge towards the hotel.

I lead the way in the hotel. She falls behind because she had to put her heels back on. Once we get in the elevator, she takes them off again and starts walking towards our room when the elevator doors open.

A note is on the floor in front of us.

Got a change of rooms. Luggage is with me. Room 1203

We turn around and it's the one facing us. It's open already so I walk in. I hear her heels fall down, I throw my tie on the small single couch. Portia is sleeping on the other couch facing the TV. Sam takes the door on our right and we walk into a large bedroom.

I'm supposed to sleep here, with her, after everything that happened tonight.

"Can you stop being an ass for just one second and try to justify why you're mad?" she yells.

"I'm being an ass? You lead me on with your oh, my arm is wrapped around yours," I mock. "He's just attractive, but I love you bullshit. Then, you suddenly come up with a plan to get into the office that obviously involves seducing him. Plus, there is no way to seduce a man without kissing him, right? And that, in one of the most passionate kisses I've ever seen you give."

I don't realize how loudly I had been yelling until I stopped talking.

"You actually think that I enjoyed a second of that madness?" she says in the calmest manner. Why is she calm? How is she calm? That just makes me even more furious.

"The moment I got in the room, I knocked him out. Not a second later. I wiped every inch of him off my body as much as I could. Now, you, the only person I could think of during that whole thing is accusing me of liking that moment of hell. You're accusing me of cheating on you. And you're an ass for that."

"Well, you might not want to sleep beside an ass or worse than that, kiss one, tonight."

"Well, apparently, I seem to enjoy kissing assholes so why don't you give it a try?"

Fire builds in. A fire that once was the flame of our love is now disruptive and uncontrollable and it's burning me from the inside. I'm not fireproof and her love is proving me that more and more every second.

I can't do it. I throw my suit jacket on the bed and I leave the room. I walk towards the hotel door and take my shoes off and I go back to our door. I sit behind it and I listen.

Everything is silent. Everything is burning. I hear her grab something and throw it. Everything is shattering. A second later, her tears start falling and that's not something I can listen to.

I leave the hotel room thinking that there is no way that I can bring it back. That safe flame that kept everything in me warm. It'll be hard to see it like anything but a destructive fire that eats me away.

.

I got the idea for this chapter while listening to this song months ago and I've had it planned for that long. After writing it, I realized how many links you can make between the lyrics and what Nathan says... vote and comment!

keep reading loves,

ss