Testing

Chapter 20

I grip onto the first thing my hand can hold. It is soft, and warm and it covers everything under me. I spread my arms the farthest I can and notice that I am laying on something with an edge. My hands hit metal rails on either side of me. I put my hand to my head as it pounds away.

I force myself to open my eyes. I an surrounded by white decor. I look down. I am in a hospital gown in what looks like a hospital bed. I look to my right, the source of the blinding light, and see a large window almost the size of the wall.

When my senses finally come together, I realize there is a faint sound coming from the room. It almost sounds like a person's voice. I look around me and notice a small TV bolted in the corner of the wall in front of me just like in all hospital rooms I have seen on TV. I stop moving and pay attention to what is being said.

Albany local news is playing. I wonder if I am back home. But I also know whoever has me is probably playing this a sort of tactic.

I listen to the baby blue wearing news anchor speak. "All seven kidnapping victims of this fall have now been found," she continues as they show a shot of Mrs. Pataki finally being able to leave the hospital after her long recovery. She had to be sent to therapy and also had to be taken care of because of a heart problem she ran into during her kidnapping by Rodrigo. If a woman is to notice irregularities with her heart, it would be while being held in that mansion.

"A previous officer on this case, Lieutenant George Martinez, is still on suspension regarding the evidence tampering accusations against him. In the mean time, his team finished the job. Thanks to Captain McCormick and Sergeant Rogers, the woman are now safely home."

I look for the TV remote. My hand hits at the bed rails, at the wall then finally at the table where the remote sat. I turn the sound off.

"Yeah, they found them," I whisper to myself sarcastically, remembering the anxiety that followed the plan we executed in Rodrigo's mansion. The plan that got those woman, including Vi, back to safety. The plan we organized in the small time of consciousness Nathan and I had on our way to a place where we both lived horrible experiences. Him way more than me.

And that, after weeks of running after innocent people for a guilty man.

I look out the window trying to figure out where I am. Last thing I remember is finally seeing Tito's face in person. But that was under the Saint-Peters Square? How is there light?

"It sucks never being able to be recognized for all you have done, doesn't it?"

The voice is unfamiliar to me. I turn my head towards the door on my left.

"Lieutenant Martinez?"

"I am sure you'll be alright just calling me George."

I keep looking at him while the only thing I can feel is shock.

"What? Surprised to see me here?"

His look of enjoyment turns into remorse and I can understand why with the look of fright I must be wearing.

I try to push myself up in a sitting position but every muscle in my body is sore. When I manage to be sitting, I look down to my arms. I have scars and holes and red marks across them both.

More and more questions arise in my head.

"Who did this to me? Why are you here?"

I start looking around me trying to figure out what 'here' is really. If we were being healed and helped in a hospital, Nathan and I would most probably be put in the same room. If this were a legitimate establishment, there would machines even if I did not need them and there would be nurses running up and down the halls. The area outside of my door is empty and dark.