Chapter Three

Everyone has scars that they don't want to talk about. Mine are just on my body as well as in my head.

-Anon.

 Luca’s POV.

All I do is walk into the bathroom and he’s there. I wonder if he waits for me around parts of the school. He’s standing there with a huge smirk on his face. I don’t see the other boy until it’s too late. He shoves me to the floor and Jaxon grabs my arm. His grip is like a vice grip on my arm, his nails digging into my skin through my sweatshirt. The pain is nothing, but the shock stops me from crying out. His hand is cold. The way he snarls at me is close enough to how you imagine a dog would attack you. My body tenses under his fierce grip as I’m pulled into the corner.

“You’re gonna wish you’d left when you had the chance.” Jaxon threatens as he delivers the first kick to my stomach. “Filthy faggots like you have no place in our school, I could just kill you for coming anywhere near us,” he spits in my face. The other boy keeps a look out, but finally starts kicking me too.  Jaxon gets one good kick in my face, followed by another before he focuses solely on my stomach. “I’ll make your life a living hell until you’re gone. I’m gonna find where you live, I’ll rape you if I have to.” I hide my face in my hands when I hear the door open. Peeking through my fingers I spot Caden standing there.

I’m not stupid. I know Caden feels sorry for me. The way he looks at me when he sees me on the floor getting kicked by Jaxon and his brother, tells me all I need to know. Jaxon kicking me in the gut isn’t as painful as seeing Caden look at me with pity. He tries to help me but I push him away. I don’t want him to watch me like this. His face displays pity and something I don’t really want to think about. I don’t want him to have those feelings for me, and if he wasn’t confused I’d been pushing myself farther away. But his feelings are there because I’m gay, not because he actually wants to be with me.

I leave him standing in the boy’s room. He looks upset as I walk out the door. Like he’s suffering a loss, but after the beating I can’t find it in myself to care. I’m dirty and damaged. Nothing can fix me now, so why give him false hope? It would be cruel to do that to him. He’s so nice to me and wants to be my friend. I wish he knew the things I’ve done. He wouldn’t be my friend then. I know he wants more than friends, but he doesn’t know many other gay people. Only one I can think of apart from me and that’s definitely a no-go for him, anyway.

I wander around the school on my own. No one comes near me as I stroll through the halls with my head down. It doesn’t take long for me to realise that there’s no room in the school I can wait out the next couple of hours. Every classroom is being used and the others are either too small or not open. So, I make my way outside. There are steps in front of the building that I can sit on and wait. There’s not going to be anyone there on a school day and Caden won’t come looking for me, I hope.

I sit on the top step and take out a book from my bag. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite classics. The door behind me opens and I wince. A female voice speaks. “Mind if I sit? I don’t want to talk or anything.”

I turn and see the red haired girl from Monday. Her smile is genuine enough, more so than the first day anyway. “Sure, it’s a free country.”

“So… You’re the new kid.” It’s more of a statement than a question. I nod once and pull my hair around my face.

She looks at me with an intense gaze. I’ve never met a girl who spoke to me as much, unless you count my family members. “I’m Leah,” she says easily.

“Luca, the new kid, as you’ve guessed.” She smirks at that. I like her. She reminds me of my sister.

“You’ve got to be pretty young for a junior, right?”