Chapter Twenty Four

The light inside of us burns brightly until someone extinguishes it. But just because it goes out doesn't mean we can't get it back.

Caden’s POV.

“Dante?” The doctor says clearly as he walks around the corridor.

We all look up as Dante strolls towards the doctor. He looks as nervous as I feel. This is the news we’ve been waiting for since Luca’s heart stopped three hours ago. We haven’t heard anything since and it’s making me antsy. I know they need time to work on Luca, to revive him. But the wait has been killing me.

After the machine flat-lined we were rushed out of Luca’s room and ushered into the main waiting area. There we looked at each other until someone came and told us it would take a while, but that the doctors were doing everything they could. Under the circumstances, I think he did a pretty good job of staying calm. Even though my heart was pounding like hell.

Now, a growing sense of fear clutches my hear. I do my best to keep my mind off whatever the doctor is telling Dante. But it’s hard. You don’t really know what it’s like until you go through this. And I’ve gone through it three times now. Three. It’s not something that gets easier every time. In fact, I would say it gets harder each time. Then again, who am I to say? I’ve never been so scared in my life. Not even the first time, and I was pretty scared then. It’s different, though, because this time I know there could be a lot of permanent damage. His brain is what has the doctors worried. I can almost imagine how bad this has made things.

“Things will be okay, Caden. He’s strong. You’ll see,” Ty says to me.

I look up at Ty and Leah standing beside him. The two of them look tired. Their eyes don’t show much hope. I can’t blame them for that. And I notice the way they’re standing. It’s almost closer than before. I know they haven’t found a way of admitting they want each other yet. But I have a feeling it will be soon, if looking at them is any sign. They already breathe the air of a couple. Standing side by side, they look very good together, very comfortable with each other. Ty tries to smile at me, but it doesn’t make it to his eyes.

“I’m just trying not to think of the worst case scenario at the minute. I can’t think of it.”

Who am I kidding, though? It’s not like I can think of anything else. My whole life could change when Dante comes back and that is a fucking terrifying thought, no matter what anyone else says. I just need to see Luca again. To touch him and taste his lips. It’s all I need right now to make my world seem whole again. I’m desperate to hold him in my arms and to make love to him. I know what I have to do, what’s needed of me. And I plan on doing it once the opportunity presents itself.

“I know you’re scared. But he will be fine.” That’s Leah this time.

I do my best to smile. “Thanks,” I whisper hoarsely.

Nothing seems to happen and for a long time we all just sit there. Dante doesn’t resurface and it makes me nervous. Yeah, it probably shouldn’t. No news is good news and all that. But every moment I’m away from Luca feels like it’s less time I’ll ever have with him. Almost losing him so many times has made me realise a lot of things. The most important thing is that you need to spend as much time with the people you love as you can. Otherwise, they could be gone one day and nothing you or anyone else can do will ever bring them back. It’s a tough pill to swallow and most would say I shouldn’t be thinking like that. But when you dig deep enough, you realise it’s the Gods honest truth. Nothing can give you more time with someone unless you willingly spend it with them.

“He’s been gone a long time now. Do you think it’s bad news,” Ty whispers to Leah. He doesn’t realise I can hear him.

“Don’t say that, please,” she whispers harshly. She really cares about Luca. I know that now and I feel bad for being jealous. It’s not like he would ever hurt me like that. Luca is not the type of person to cheat. Not on me. Not on anyone.