Chapter Twelve

Love is something that should be shouted from the rooftops. But until both parties involved in the emotion are conscious, it's considered rude to declare it.

Caden’s POV.

It’s been seven days since Luca died and they brought him back to life. Seven days since my heart stopped and started again. He lies on the bed, never moving, but awake. Doctors say they have had to sedate him for his own good. What does that even mean? He seems… different, but not dead. That’s the good thing. His eyes are open, but lifeless. Dark brown voids that never seem to show much emotion. He doesn’t respond when we talk to him. The majority of his body has been wrapped in bandages. No one tells me why, though. Just that it was one of the complications in surgery.

I touch a spot of skin on his face. It’s so silky soft, even where the scar is. He looks peaceful and angelic, lying there with his eyes open. I sigh. Seven days of sitting by Luca’s beside waiting for those beautiful eyes to recognise someone, mainly me, but someone would be a vast improvement. Looking over at the clock, I see that it’s late or early. Three AM. It’s a time I’m normally asleep in my bed, but these last few days have been different. I sleep during the day sometimes and stay awake with Luca during the night. Not wanting him to snap out of it and be alone.

“You going to wake up for me, angel?”

I know he won’t respond. But sometimes talking helps me to feel like I’m trying to help him. It feels like I’m not giving up. It’s the one thing that I will never do. Give up, that is. I don’t think my heart could take it if I tried. He just doesn’t understand that yet. But he will. When he wakes up I’ll show him how much I love him and need him. He’ll see, one and for all, he will see how much of an impact he has had on my life. Then he’ll be willing to give me the chance to woo him. Not just date him or “fuck” him as some have suggested. I want him for the rest of my life.

“I’ll be waiting for you, angel. I will fight until you can look at me and know who I am.” I kiss his cheek. “I’ll stand by your side until you’re able to sit up yourself and do things. I promise. I won’t leave your side until you need me to leave it. Even then, though, I’ll be close by, just in case.”

I jump when a female voice startles me. “Aw, that’s lovely. He’s lucky to have a boyfriend like you around.” The nurse says as she steps around to the other side of the bed. “Just need to check his vitals. But he’s been doing okay.”

“Is there a reason he hasn’t responded?”

She pales, even in the darkness I can see it. “I can’t really tell you anything… But the trauma was not the only issue he had. He should be fine, but he has a long recovery ahead of him.” She flicks the on a small beside lamp beside Luca. It brightens the room slightly, enough to see what she’s doing around him.

I understand what she’s saying, in a way I even understand why he isn’t saying more. But it’s still a pain. “Yeah, I know. I just hoped once the surgery was over he would wake up properly.”

She nods empathetically. “Not all his scars are physical ones, sweetheart. Sometimes the physical ones are the easiest to treat.”

I watch as she checks his temperature and blood pressure before she leaves the room. Sighing, I recline against the chair for a moment. With the light left on, I can see some of Luca’s face more clearly. Sunken cheeks and a jaw that looks bony are signs of malnourishment. How long has Luca been starving himself? Too fucking long, if you ask me. He’s skinny and left with not a lot of strength. Out of his clothes, the signs are more obvious and it’s fucking scary. He still looks beautiful, though. Nothing could change that in my eyes. Sparks of lust and love coarse through my body when I look at him. My heart is bursting with love.