Chapter Ten

When the person we love is ill, somehow we just know. But what if sometimes we don't? Do we fight our emotions and die with them? Or, do we fight to get them back?

Caden’s POV.

It’s perfect. He’s not flinching away from me. His fingers are laced through mine, warm and soft. I feel like crying with sheer joy. I never thought this day would come. He’s here and I’m here. The first brush of lips makes him whimper. His lips are so soft, so perfect and they are against mine. We’re kissing. And it feels pretty damn amazing. I pull away the tiniest amount and bask in the feel of his breath against my face. Taking another chance, I kiss him again. This time it’s me who sobs. The sheer joy at having his lips against mine is like nothing I have ever experienced before. We continue to kiss, my emotions overwhelming me.

His lips are so soft and perfect. The way his hair hangs down around his face, sticking to patches of his skin, it makes him look even more perfect. My senses are in overdrive, tasting and feeling everything. Between Luca’s lips and his fingers and his hair, my senses are engulfed with Luca. Making it impossibly hard for me to breathe. I want to sob and scream and shout at the top of my lungs. Instead my body settles for gentle crying, making my cheeks slick with tears. He seems to be sobbing quietly himself, making my heart break for him.

I love you so fuckin much it hurts. From your beautiful eyes and face, to your amazing heart. I can’t get enough of you. I want to love you until I take my last breath and even longer after that if I can. You have no idea how much you mean to me, how much I really do love you. You couldn’t be any more perfect if you tried. You are the most amazing, loving, and beautiful person in the world and I just want to love you until forever comes.

“Beautiful angel,” I whisper on his lips. He’s my beautiful angel. He’s my heart and soul, and my absolute everything.

“Stop,” he screams at me, pushing me off him, making me stumble back. I struggle to maintain my upright position. He starts screaming at me, saying scary things. I don’t know why he’s acting like this. What did I do?

Everyone rushes into the room. Dante tries to calm Luca down, he talks to him. But Luca doesn’t respond the way we want him to. He’s arguing with us. Talking about them, him. Who are the people he’s talking about? What the fuck is going on with everyone? He grabs a knife. I feel the sob tearing out of my chest, my body starts shaking. I feel sick. I don’t want him to hurt himself. Please don’t make me watch that. His eyes are cold, distant even. There’s fear in them too. Why is no one trying to stop him? If anything Dante looks afraid.

“Please don’t leave me angel, please.” I sob uncontrollably. He takes the knife and slashes his wrists. I don’t know why I don’t move. I should stop him. I don’t though. I just stand, looking at him fall to the floor. His body hits the floor with a thump. Dante crouches down beside him, ripping his t-shirt and wrapping them around Luca’s writs. I close the distance between us, crouching down on the other side of his body, stroking his face. He looks… dead. He doesn’t move when I touch him, but I can feel his breath on my face. He’s still breathing. That’s good. Breathing means life and life means he’s not dead…

Don’t die on me, not when I just got you. I need you. It’s like I need air, it’s impossible to live without it. Please, please don’t leave me. I need you. Why won’t you wake up for me, tell me you don’t want me, but don’t die. Please.

“What can we do, Dante?” Dad’s speaking softly.

“Just… I don’t know. Can you see if the ambulance is here yet? It needs to get here three minutes ago.”

“He’s going to be okay,” I say defiantly. “He has to be okay.” I sound like a petulant child, but I don’t care. I really don’t care.

“Caden. Caden, look at me.” Dante’s voice is firm. “You need to stop touching him, kay? Just trust me when I say, it will make things easier.”