Chapter Four

If you love someone you protect them with everything in you. Even if you don't know it at the time. That's what love is in the end.  

Caden’s POV.

“Oh Caden, would you mind giving Luca his biology sheets? Mr. Grey left them here and since you’re his partner I thought it would be quicker for you to give them to him.” Ms. Tayler stands in front of my desk with a sheepish smile. “Sure Ms. I’ll do it,” I tell her calmly, although inside I’m happy to have an excuse to see him later if he doesn’t come in at all.

“Thanks Caden, if you see him tell him I would like to see him.” With that she walks off to hand out the rest of the papers. I smile at the page and only break out of my trance when Ty clears his throat. Damn when did he start following you like a puppy? “What?” I ask him frustrated. He just smiles and shrugs, “nothing. Can’t help but notice the change in your mood. Is there a reason for that?”

I stare at him for a minute, sizing up his question. “Just glad Luca’s my biology partner, that’s all. I hate biology but he might make me like it better, that’s all. Why? What do you think I’m happy about?”

“I don’t know,” he teases. “I thought maybe seeing Luca more often would make you a lot happier, that’s all.” His smile asks me to deny what he says. I can’t though, and he knows it. I can see it in the way he looks at me. Even if I try to deny it, he’d know I was lying. He’s always known these things.

“Sure, he’s my best friend now,” Ty looks outraged. “Apart from you obviously, and I like hanging out with him. We have fun together. Why wouldn’t I be happy to see him more?” It’s weak, but it’s the best I have.

He looks at me and rolls his eyes. I wonder if he’ll be doing that more now. It’s getting pretty irritating looking at him as he rolls his eyes or scoffs at me. I’m not some Goddamn child who can’t figure things out for himself. After almost a week of jacking off and dreaming about Luca I know thing are changing for me. I just can’t stop myself from getting nervous about them. “I know you’re his friend, I am too. Or did we forget that? He’s a cool guy, but I was curious, that’s all.”

“Yeah, right,” I scoff. “You’ve been trying to say something for ages now. Want to share what that is?” Like you don’t already know what he’s talking about. Ty rolls his eyes at me, “like I said before, when you figure your shit out let me know.”

I give him a short “whatever” and turn my attention to Ms. Tayler. She makes some announcements and calls our names. I already miss him. It’s the strangest feeling in the world. The only people I’ve ever missed were my parents when they went on vacation for a week without me. Even then I don’t remember missing them like this. My heart aches for him to be near me. The thought of seeing him soon brings a huge grin to my face. I leave Ty in the dust as I walk to my first class. Class passes slowly, my thoughts the whole time on Luca. The teacher leaves me to daydream. Not noticing or not caring that I’m not paying attention. My mood doesn’t shift until I see him.

He’s walking down the corridor with his head down. I walk over to him and whisper in his ear. “Happy one week anniversary, Luca.”

I can see he’s startled, it’s not lost on me that he looks like he think’s I’ve lost my marbles. “Thanks, Caden. Eh… Happy anniversary,” he says almost sceptically. Noting the way he looks at me I smile.

“It’s one week today since we officially met, so I kind of thought it would be nice to say ‘happy anniversary.”

He nods, “Yeah, I guess it is a nice thought. Thanks.”

My smile widens. “I have a present for you, it’s nothing big, but, hold on till I find it for you.” I rummage through my bag, searching for the small box I put in there just this morning. Luca keeps his eyes on me, not sure what I’m going to give him. I find the wrapped box under my math book.