Chapter Nine

We all have that one perfect moment, The one where everything that has happened was leading up to. But sometimes that moment doesn't stay perfect and it can be our undoing.

Luca’s POV.

I peel open my eyes. Looking around my bedroom, I see the differences, knowing that I have hidden the letters. Not knowing what the next one will say is driving me crazy. Only one of them has been different, but the others all the same. Reaching under the pillow, I pull out a stack of them. Bound together with a rubber band, they look very gloomy. Like a letter someone would receive from a crazed stalker. I guess in a way that’s what they are. Letters from a crazy stalker, that is. But I deserve these, I know that it’s what I have coming to me. I don’t deserve the good things I’ve been given in this life.

“Tesoro, come downstairs for breakfast please.” Nonnino says, peeking into my bedroom. I scramble to hide the letter in my hand.

“Come on now,” he says suspiciously. He looks tried, rubs his eyes and widens the door. I hesitate, trying to get away from this. Nothing comes to mind though, and so I pull back the covers and pad to the door. Smiling at me nonnino ushers me out the door and down to the kitchen. I remind myself to lock the door when I make it back up.

Nonnina walks out of their bedroom and smiles. “Ah tesoro, did you sleep well.” She breezes past me and makes her way down the stairs, singing under her breath. Everyone’s acting strangely. It’s strange, everyone is acting so happy. Well, nonnino and nonnina are. I am starting to feel like I am missing something. But for the life of me I can’t figure out what it could be. Is there something I’m missing? I wonder. Either that or I am in an alternate universe, which is plausible.

“Morning Luca,” Aria chirps as she breezes past me.

“Morning Pooh bear get some breakfast in you.”

I take the seat Dante offers to me. Frowning at the stack of pancakes on my plate, the thoughts of eating them makes my stomach lurch. Not wanting to upset them I stuff the pancakes in my mouth. Not even bothering to chew, swallowing large chunks of pancake. Everyone looks at me while I eat. It doesn’t make me uneasy. I don’t allow them to see the conflicting emotions going on in my head.

“Tesoro, slow down before you choke,” mamma scolds behind me. She places a glass of juice in front of me.

Please leave me alone. I don’t want you to worry, but I can’t tell you. I’m not going to live much longer and I don’t want you to blame yourselves. You need to believe me. I have hurt you all so much, it’s better if you let me go. Just let me go. It won’t be painful anymore. I love you all.

“Rose is coming back later; she has the whole crew with her now. So I want you to stay in your room Luca.” Dante’s voice hardens as he speaks; I look up and arch an eyebrow.

“I know you always go head first into these things, it’s something I admire about you. But I also know how badly they affect you. So I’m asking you to listen to me this once and stay out of sight.” I consider him for a minute, then take a piece of paper and write.

I’ll stay in my room as long as they don’t cause a fuss. If they do because they want me downstairs I’m coming down.

“Fine, you never listen to me anyway. Why start now.” Dante sighs. “You know, it’s nice that you want to protect us and stuff, but we’re the adults not you.”

Simply, I write. I’ve seen more horrors in my fifteen years, than you have in your twenty one years. Trust me when I say, it’s not something you want to see.

He pales, nodding; he slips the piece of paper in his pocket. “Fine, but please try to stay away, if you can.”

I finish off my plate and take the stairs one at a time, slowly moving up and listening to my family’s voices.  Mamma and nonnina both sound distressed, nonnino just sounds resigned, like he’s given up hope of getting me back. It shouldn’t be a good thing, but it is. It always will be a good thing. Knowing they have given up hope of getting the child back, it will make their lives easier. I lock myself away from it all; the world in my room is my own. Staggering around the room, I gather what I need and enter my bathroom, closing the door firmly behind me.