17; Unexpected Allies

"What are they doing here?"

"I need them." Derek replied, Harley and Isaac following him through the door.

"I don't trust them." Scott growled.

"Yeah, well," Harley gave him a sarcastic smile as she shoved past. "They don't trust you either."

"And Derek really doesn't care." He snapped, speaking in third person as the two betas leaned against a table. "So is the vet gonna help us or not?"

"That depends." Their attention turned to see Deaton leaning in the doorway, arms crossed. "Your friend Jackson. Are we planning to kill him, or save him?"

"Save him."

"Kill him."

Harley and Derek's words blended with Scott's earning a glare from the omega.

"Save him." Scott argued, shaking his head slightly. Harley let out an annoyed huff of air and nodded, crossing her arms as Scott turned back to his boss. "Save him."

Deaton nodded and led them into the back room, setting down jars in middle of the operating table. Isaac looked at them curiously and reached for one, Harley grabbing his wrist.

"Watch what you touch." Derek warned. Isaac instead leaned forward, propping himself up on the table.

"So," He began, looking up at Deaton. "What are you, some kind of witch?"

"No." Deaton looked at him with an unamused expression, a jar in his hand. "I'm a veterinarian. Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that will be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin."

"We're open to suggestions."

"What about an effective offense?" Harley asked, her mind going to lacrosse. She was never one to play defense, always opting to be in the actual action.

"We already tried that." Derek sighed, looking to the vet. "I nearly took it's head off, and Argent emptied and entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up."

"Has it shown any weaknesses?" He wondered, eyebrows furrowing.

"For one, it can't swim."

"Does that go for Jackson as well?"

"No." Harley sighed, pursing her lips. "He's the captain of the swim team."

"Essentially you're trying to catch two people." Deaton explained, glancing around the room before walking over to his cabinet and holding up a coin. "A puppet, and a puppeteer. One killed the husband, but the other he to take care of the wife. Do we know why?"

"I don't think Jackson could do it." Harley shook her head, clearing her throat. "His mother died pregnant too."

"She might have been murdered." Scott added. "I think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else."

"How do you know it's not part of the rules?" Isaac spoke up, everyone's attention turning back to him. "The Kanima kills murderers. If Jackson kills the wife the baby dies too."

"Does that mean your father was a murderer?" Scott asked, looking up at him.

"Wouldn't surprise me if he was." He shrugged, his tone nonchalant.

"Hold on." Deaton said slowly. "The book says their bonded, right? What if the fear of water isn't coming from Jackson, but from the person controlling him. What if, something that affects the Kanima,"

He held up a jar of mountain ash, twisting off the lid. He proceeded to create a circle around the coin, Harley's face lighting up with realization.